Tom Staying in the Trees?

LanceS4803

Heard a gobbler at 0530 up near the top of the ridgeline, so took up a position above him.
He started really going at it at 0600, and continued until 0700, but never moved. Would respond to my yelps.
I finally decided to see what was going on and crept up the egde and looked over and saw him about 30' up in the tree, with 2 hens below. He was in full strut mode, tail fanned out, wings dropped, pacing back and forth on the limb.
Why didn't he fly down? Surely he wasn't expecting to consumate his business up there. :blush:

Boll Weevil

A couple of things you might try:

1-Quit calling
2-Using your hat "fly down" by beating it against your leg and cackle like a hen would. Hit the ground, cluck, purr, and scratch a bit. Give the impression you're the first one on the ground.

He was likely just waiting on the hens to pitch down or for you to come to him before he flew down. As long as they stayed up there he had no plans of coming down. I've killed a truckload of birds over the years with the above. Doesn't work every time but will fool them often enough to keep in your bag of tricks.

LanceS4803

BW, Sorry, I didn't make it very clear.
The hens were already on the ground, right below the Tom. But, I will definitley keep your technique in mind, as there is another area where this one Tom just sits. I've had my eye on him, and this might just work.

0900? Those are some late sleepin' birds.

Latest posts