To fish or not to fish?

catman529

That is the question.... thinking of heading out sometime before lunch, but with this colder weather, should I expect the fish to clam up much? Oh and to be a bit more specific... it's the Harpeth river and channel cats in question. Plan on throwing the net, catching bait and heading up to a honey hole to bottom fish. The colder weather's got me down a bit, but I still want to head out tomorrow. Been catfishing for 7 years but not consistently enough to really learn their patterns.

catman529

Looking at the forecast, I may just have to call it off and try shed hunting or something else. Thunder storms all night, high of 50 during the day, the river is going to be fast, the muddy bank will be treacherous, and I would be freezing my hands off throwing that cast net.

ShaneHallum

The water might be too fast.. Sunday on the other hand would be a good day. I always find spots were the muddy water turns to clear after a rain on the creeks/rivers. Them cats tend to hang out at the edge of the clear water.

AllOutdoors

Don't know about the Harpeth but you might have to wait in line at KY lake to put in when the water is on the rise. People come out like crazy to catch the catfish.We Find the eddys and swirls and fish those when the water is coming up. If it rises over the banks, that is where we fish. Good Luck. We use the same tactics on the Buffalo and Duck River too.

catman529

Shane, I caught a catfish at a creek mouth just the other day. When the water goes up there is a great mud line between the muddy river and the clear creek. Maybe I should head there... well maybe, if it's not too cold. Maybe just some bass fishing or something.

Sawgrass

I've caught some of my best fish on nasty days. The problem is, older I get though, the easier it gets to talk myself out of it when the weather's bad.
Getting too soft I guess. :grin:

trealtree

Sawgrass said:
I've caught some of my best fish on nasty days. The problem is, older I get though, the easier it gets to talk myself out of it when the weather's bad.

ditto

Football Hunter

Sawgrass said:
Me too,but its the opposite for me,the older I get,the more I wanna catch a big one.I spent some money on good clothes,weather dont bother me now.

Sawgrass

Football Hunter said:
Sawgrass said:
Me too,but its the opposite for me,the older I get,the more I wanna catch a big one.I spent some money on good clothes,weather dont bother me now.
You just ain't there yet, enjoy it while ya can. :grin:

catman529

I have fished in terrible weather at least a good handful of times. This time I just didn't feel up to it. Probably because just a few days earlier I was fishing at sunset off the bank in perfect weather. Got me spoiled, now I only want to fish when it's warm out. I will bass fish and trout fish in cold weather, but when it comes to cats, I got to throw the net and get fresh bait, and I am almost never up to that when it's cold, not to mention raining.

Latest posts