TN State Record Archery - Typical

TheLBLman

Andy S.":2d0q7d61 said:
One of the key take aways from the article is this: "Trail camera photos from around the area showed the giant roamed over an area of several square miles."
Actually . . . . . "Since taking the deer, Andy has met three people who have trail camera pictures --- and several were snapped miles from the kill site."

It's not just an issue of "several square miles" but also one of bucks typically traveling several linear miles in one direction.
IMO, the majority of deer hunters greatly underestimate the range of bucks, especially during the rut.

Think about it:

3 miles x 3 miles = 9 square miles = 5,760 acres
4 miles x 4 miles = 16 square miles = 10,240 acres

In most circumstances there is no such thing as "we've got a buck over on our place that . . . . . "
"My" buck becomes "your" buck, and this is part of why the North America wildlife model considers the wildlife to belong to the "people" rather than an individual landowner.

A few years ago (and someone on here can post the exact details) someone posted about a buck seen with a bunch of survey ribbon tangled in his antlers (I believe this may have been in Fayette County, TN). The buck's pic was obtained on a trail cam, and within something like 24 hours, it was killed about 11 miles away.

catman529

TheLBLman":1otzr0m0 said:
Andy S.":1otzr0m0 said:
One of the key take aways from the article is this: "Trail camera photos from around the area showed the giant roamed over an area of several square miles."
Actually . . . . . "Since taking the deer, Andy has met three people who have trail camera pictures --- and several were snapped miles from the kill site."

It's not just an issue of "several square miles" but also one of bucks typically traveling several linear miles in one direction.
IMO, the majority of deer hunters greatly underestimate the range of bucks, especially during the rut.

Think about it:

3 miles x 3 miles = 9 square miles = 5,760 acres
4 miles x 4 miles = 16 square miles = 10,240 acres

In most circumstances there is no such thing as "we've got a buck over on our place that . . . . . "
"My" buck becomes "your" buck, and this is part of why the North America wildlife model considers the wildlife to belong to the "people" rather than an individual landowner.

A few years ago (and someone on here can post the exact details) someone posted about a buck seen with a bunch of survey ribbon tangled in his antlers (I believe this may have been in Fayette County, TN). The buck's pic was obtained on a trail cam, and within something like 24 hours, it was killed about 11 miles away.
different deer may roam more or less, some for miles and some may stay a lot closer to home. Some GPS collar data I've seen showed bucks staying in a relatively small area where they were safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fairchaser

Very cool and totally believable story. These record bucks are usually killed by a novice who doesn't know what they've done or an experienced hunter with many good bucks under their belt. A buck like that in range will do things to your brain. Only a calm character will get the job done. No one really deserves it or earns it but you do have to pay your dues, especially with a bow. Good for him.

lazer

Very cool story....A true free roaming buck like that would not have liked a high fence situation....I dont care how rich you are ,high fence leases should be outlawed and Wild deer should be allowed to roam freely IMHO....Think about it this way,A high fence would have kept him from coming onto your property and servicing your does you have captive......

TNRifleman

It is a bit lengthy but I thought at least some of you would find this extremely interesting based in the movement of this TN buck. This is a very exhaustive research study done by Penn State following a buck. They basically collected data points from this deer every 7 hours from 3/29/2013 through 9/30/2013, every 3 hours from 10/1/2013 through 11/16/2013, and every 20 minutes during the rifle season (11/25/2013-12/8/2015). For those who aren't familiar with PA rifle season, it is basically a national holiday. 1 Million plus hunters in the woods on opening day of rifle season so you can see how the deer reacts when the woods are flooded with people.

http://ecosystems.psu.edu/research/proj ... -buck-8917

tree_ghost

Tnwakeboarder":2xd8tvb2 said:
Deer used our farm that summer. Was killed over 3 miles from us and that's if he went in a straight line

What an incredible opportunity to have an animal like that on your ground! Was this the only year you had history with him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Winchester

Great success story! When its your turn nothing will stop it happening! Deer, especially older bucks seem to all have their own personalities. I have discovered that no 2 are alike and all seem to react somewhat differently, especially when it comes to where and how much/far they move.

Latest posts