• Help Support TNDeer:

Tn Harvest report

backyardtndeer

If I read correct numbers were up about ten percent?

We are normally good for 3-4 a year on our farm, wife killed one and that was it. We had a poor year, interesting if true that numbers are up that much.

Primary

Primary

TNDeer Assistant
Here are some related products that TNDeer members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TNDeer’s partner,Primary, where you can find links to TNDeer discussions about these products.

7mm08

154,311 for the year+/-
Dang!!!! DA had a good season!!

In all seriousness:
A - great
B - wonder how many deer are poached, never reported
C- how many are killed on the roadways in a year
D- how many killed by coyotes, bears, and of course those pesky mountain lions & Sasquatch

Sounds like a pretty healthy herd even despite blue tongue, & CWD

Andy S.

Worth mentioning is these harvest totals do not include the ongoing hunting/killing that is happening daily in Unit CWD. Landowners in Fayette and Hardeman counties, as well as any landowner within a 3 mile radius of a CWD positive in the other Unit CWD counties, can apply for and receive a CWD Permit to continue hunting/killing deer until 31-Mar-21. These deer do not have to be checked in or tested, but the landowner must provide local warden with total deer kill and other specifics report at end of the permit, which is 31-Mar-21 based on the few guys I have talked to who have permits.

TAFKAP

Worth mentioning is these harvest totals do not include the ongoing hunting/killing that is happening daily in Unit CWD. Landowners in Fayette and Hardeman counties, as well as any landowner within a 3 mile radius of a CWD positive in the other Unit CWD counties, can apply for and receive a CWD Permit to continue hunting/killing deer until 31-Mar-21. These deer do not have to be checked in or tested, but the landowner must provide local warden with total deer kill and other specifics report at end of the permit, which is 31-Mar-21 based on the few guys I have talked to who have permits.

Are there any avenues available to test for CWD for these deer shot out of normal season?

Andy S.

So are they just hoping people whack them and leave them?
That is perfectly legal if you have a warden issued CWD permit. No license required, no hunter orange required, no checking in required, no testing required and no bag limits. Bottom line is TWRA wants more deer killed in Unit CWD, especially in Fayette/Hardeman, and in other counties within 3 mile radius of a known positive. As last week, the latest numbers I heard was TWRA had issued around 250 permits to landowners. The few landowners I know who have a permit said they last until 31-Mar-21, and the landowners has to complete a report of sorts at the end of the permit and note how many deer they killed on said property.

BigRed1080

Supporter
I will say that many deer are killed in roads and.....
1) never reported
2) reported to local law enforcement only
3) only reported to insurance
Does anyone know if there is one database to collect all that information or is it all separate and never combined?

TAFKAP

That is perfectly legal if you have a warden issued CWD permit. No license required, no hunter orange required, no checking in required, no testing required and no bag limits. Bottom line is TWRA wants more deer killed in Unit CWD, especially in Fayette/Hardeman, and in other counties within 3 mile radius of a known positive. As last week, the latest numbers I heard was TWRA had issued around 250 permits to landowners. The few landowners I know who have a permit said they last until 31-Mar-21, and the landowners has to complete a report of sorts at the end of the permit and note how many deer they killed on said property.

I was hoping to find someone that would allow me to extend my deer season, but in a high risk county with no CWD resources, I'm not interested in burning up ammo just to leave a deer in the field.

Hardwoodmaterials

Where did the increase come from? Was it the CWD areas? I know that my brother killed 1 doe and my buddy, father in law, wife and me didn't kill any at all. Between the 5 of us we are usually good for 15-20 a year but not this past year.

tree_ghost

Supporter
Where did the increase come from? Was it the CWD areas? I know that my brother killed 1 doe and my buddy, father in law, wife and me didn't kill any at all. Between the 5 of us we are usually good for 15-20 a year but not this past year.

my home usually averages 1.5 bucks per year since we have been in TN. This year we killed 3. Covid allowing us to have a more flexible schedule I’d why we had more time in the woods

redblood

But how many hunters would have any interest in hunting shed bucks and late term pregnant does in February and march? Couldnt be many.

TAFKAP

But how many hunters would have any interest in hunting shed bucks and late term pregnant does in February and march? Couldnt be many.
I would.

I’m in it for the meat, so not having a CWD test available keeps me from pursuing it any further.

hammer33

"That is perfectly legal if you have a warden issued CWD permit. No license required, no hunter orange required, no checking in required, no testing required and no bag limits. Bottom line is TWRA wants more deer killed in Unit CWD, especially in Fayette/Hardeman, and in other counties within 3 mile radius of a known positive. As last week, the latest numbers I heard was TWRA had issued around 250 permits to landowners. The few landowners I know who have a permit said they last until 31-Mar-21, and the landowners has to complete a report of sorts at the end of the permit and note how many deer they killed on said property."

This sounds fishy to me. Part of the "science" of CWD says its transmitted by Prions which can live in the soil and are hard to eradicate. So now they want a ton of deer shot and left to rot into the soil ? Wouldn't that create a contaminated spot kinda like how a salt block leaves residue in the soil? Then when deer feed on the plants that are growing in that area, could they be infected? Wouldn't buzzard scat and coyote scat also transplant the Prions around the area ? Hmmm ?

Andy S.

This sounds fishy to me. Part of the "science" of CWD says its transmitted by Prions which can live in the soil and are hard to eradicate. So now they want a ton of deer shot and left to rot into the soil ? Wouldn't that create a contaminated spot kinda like how a salt block leaves residue in the soil? Then when deer feed on the plants that are growing in that area, could they be infected? Wouldn't buzzard scat and coyote scat also transplant the Prions around the area ? Hmmm ?
Which part sounds fishy? If an infected deer is present, CWD is obviously already "in the area", and possibly in the "environment". What I posted above is 100% accurate, nothing fishy about it. If you want to substantiate from the horse's mouth, reach out to a Unit CWD warden and let him tell you the same message.

Latest posts