TN Deer Baiting

Bootlegger

What is the exact laws on salt licks and feeders and things like that? Just wondering....I have a mineral lick on my property but never hunt over it. Just curious cause someone ask me today...lol.

Thanks

Bootlegger

Ok...thank you for the help. So is a feeder illegal to have on your land? I thought salt licks were ok...now I know..thanks!

I will give you a call over the weekend.

Mark

RodneyO

Legal to bait however you want, but can't hunt within 350yds of it during season … all traces of baiting must be removed 10 days prior to hunting the area
Hmm, This happens to be practically at their back door, would that apply to on their property? I heard that you don't need a tag on your own property during the season. I ask all this just in case times turn bad, I may think about it... Is their document that you could lead me to so I can read?

Jcalder

Hmm, This happens to be practically at their back door, would that apply to on their property? I heard that you don't need a tag on your own property during the season. I ask all this just in case times turn bad, I may think about it... Is their document that you could lead me to so I can read?
Get the hunting guide when it comes at the end of July. It'll have all that in there

timberjack86

If times get bad and I needed to feed my family I wouldn't worry about it. Definitely a better option than stealing from the store or a farmers field.

Grill-n-man

What your looking for is in the proclamations which is the actual code annoted "law". Your particular question's answer is an interpretation of that proclamation. Baiting is an incredible grey area that's interpreted in a certain way. The proclamation says " for the sole purpose of taking wildlife". What it doesn't say is the interpretation example a bag of corn poured out for the sole purpose of taking wildlife is illegal but a food plot put in for the sole purpose of taking wildlife is legal. Call your local warden that works that area. It's their interpretation of the law that in the end determines what's legal or illegal

Oh and that hunting guide tells you in black and white it's not a legal document

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
Things change every year. Especially since CWD has been detected in the State. Baiting,mineral licks are all known to contribute to the spread.
Always good to read up on things. You can usually get a Hard copy in a month or so at Walmart or your local sporting goods store.

Last edited:

gobblegrunt

Things change every year. Especially since CWD has been in the State. Baiting,mineral licks are all known to contribute to the spread.
Always good to read up on things. You can usually get a Hard copy in a month or so at Walmart or your local sporting goods store.
I'd say CWD has been in the state for a while but no one was looking for it.

Latest posts