Tn...A Trophy Destination State?

Mike Belt

I keep reading a lot of posts with projected results from regulation changes concerning Tn destined to become a trophy status state. Personally, I just don't see it. Any changes made may or may not possibly result in more deer available to hunt but just as water seeks it's on level, Tn is only capable of producing what it will. There have been deer present in the state for almost half a century and to my knowledge, Tn has never been classified a trophy destination. It would seem that the major reduction in limits over 10 years ago from 11 bucks/season down to 3 and then 2 would have netted some results towards that aspiration. I'm sure there have been some whoppers taken over the course of those years but not enough to re-classify our standings.

So-o-o, I'm interested in hearing thoughts on why some feel we're headed that direction. What will make the deer in Tn do that they have never been able to do in the past? Just what makes a trophy state? Is it the number of deer available for hunting? Is it the limits? Is it the size of the top end bucks or more likely, the number of mature bucks available to hunt, even though most may never reach record book status?

Buzzard Breath

I don't ever see TN becoming a trophy state. No matter how restricted our regulation become. I hunt all over the mid-west, in these "trophy states", and the average size of antlers per age class blows TN away when comparing similar age classes. Granted, this is based on hunter observation, Me and the guys I hunt with, and is not scientifically based.

I personally think that as TN becomes more restrictive in our regulations, lease prices will start to drop. It will probably rise on some select properties that have the resources and participants that will grow larger than typical deer for their age classes. But, for most leases, the prices will drop. Who in their right mid is going to pay $10/acre and up for less opportunity and average deer?

Just my $0.02

TheLBLman

Mike Belt":3i509yf3 said:
Personally, I just don't see it.
Mike, my thoughts are similar to yours.

Buzzard Breath":3i509yf3 said:
I personally think that as TN becomes more restrictive in our regulations, lease prices will start to drop.
I also believe that lease prices will generally drop (adjusted for inflation) over time, but don't think this has much to do with TN's deer regs.

In fact, while some are proclaiming TN's deer regs have become more "restrictive", others point out on a macro scale they've actually become less restrictive. It used to be we could only kill bucks. Now on a statewide basis we have a very generous opportunity to kill ANY deer, with no concern whatsoever regarding any definition of antlered vs. antlerless (at least for the majority of hunters).

Lease prices are mainly a function of supply & demand.

Buzzard Breath":3i509yf3 said:
It will probably rise on some select properties that have the resources and participants that will grow larger than typical deer for their age classes.
Nothing new there. However, if "typical" deer were to grow larger statewide, that reduces the appeal of these leased properties that would otherwise have been more appealing when they were more unique. Generally speaking, the biggest single driver of lease prices in TN is and will remain "convenience". Where any "convenient" hunting property is in short supply (but lots of hunters living close by), lease prices will be relatively high. A great example is the Memphis area. Large numbers of hunters live there, and many simply choose to pay higher lease prices rather than drive 4 hours to obtain lower lease prices. Just the law of supply and demand.

Better quality deer hunting on a statewide level, in a state with an abundance of "public" (essentially "free") hunting land, this could be more a driver of lower than higher lease costs. In the meantime, similar is happening in surrounding states, in that the overall quality of the deer hunting has been becoming "better", in part due to less hunting, in part due to regulations, in part due to an expanding deer herd into areas previously void or low deer density becoming higher deer density. Of course, within every state, there are localities where just the opposite is happening.

Statewide, as a whole, anyone want to speculate the direction of lease costs in the State of Illinois over the next couple years? Going higher or lower? I say lower, and that it has little to do with any regulations.

AT Hiker

Vermin93":1zlhqyf3 said:
I paid $330 for licenses to hunt TN this year, so I'm officially declaring it a trophy state. ;)

Ouch! Its official, TN is a trophy state. Does your NR license come with a plaque?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BSK

Mike Belt":20q83lnf said:
So-o-o, I'm interested in hearing thoughts on why some feel we're headed that direction.

We aren't and we never will. However, the key factor is that the regulation changes are being made by ill-informed people who BELIEVE those changes WILL turn TN into a trophy state. And when the current changes don't produce the desired result, they will instigate further restrictions, and then even further restrictions, waiting for trophy bucks to pop up from behind every tree. They are using trophy buck production as the "measuring stick" of success for their management changes. It's a fool's errand.

Andy S.

Buzzard Breath":2pub09ey said:
I don't ever see TN becoming a trophy state. No matter how restricted our regulation become. I hunt all over the mid-west, in these "trophy states", and the average size of antlers per age class blows TN away when comparing similar age classes. Granted, this is based on hunter observation.......
I agree 110%. With that said, the million dollar question is do those that make the rules think it ever will, and more importantly, do they want it to become a trophy state? I hope the answer to the latter is no, but only time will tell.

TheLBLman

Andy S.":37s7khlg said:
I agree 110%. With that said, the million dollar question is do those that make the rules think it ever will, and more importantly, do they want it to become a trophy state?
The answer to your question is "no".
Time will show this journey has been more about simply making the opportunity better for the majority of TN's deer hunters.
Some mistakes should be expected, but I've seen no major ones recently, at least not in the actual regulations.
I do agree with those finding fault with the process for some of the changes.

Personalities, preferences, processes, jealousies, hatreds, panties in a wad ---- lots of "issues" there being parlayed into demonizing hunters against hunters, hunters against the commission, hunters against the TWRA, etc. Doesn't matter how it happens, who's behind it, or what happens, some are going to be angry and themselves cause more harm than was caused by what they claim has them so upset.

TLRanger

Vermin93":3eyhjnwr said:
I paid $330 for licenses to hunt TN this year, so I'm officially declaring it a trophy state. ;)

Good thing you didn't buy a KY Non Res license....Total cost is $410.00.
Annual hunting license.........................$140.00
Deer tag- (two deer, only one antlered......$120.00
Fall turkey tag..................................$75.00
Spring turkey tag...............................$75.00

fairchaser

I don't see TN becoming a trophy destination state but not because of limited trophies only. I've hunted on Anticosti Island because of the unique opportunity to still hunt whitetails on a beach with waterfalls and a pristine setting. TN would have to have something unique or some giant bucks and it has neither to draw hunters from afar. We have some beautiful settings and plenty of good deer but nothing too unique.

Vermin93

TLRanger":1g71279a said:
Vermin93":1g71279a said:

Good thing you didn't buy a KY Non Res license....Total cost is $410.00.
Annual hunting license.........................$140.00
Deer tag- (two deer, only one antlered......$120.00
Fall turkey tag..................................$75.00
Spring turkey tag...............................$75.00

Well, I think that settles it. By the transitive property:

If TN costs more than KY for nonresident deer hunting and KY is a trophy state, then TN is a trophy state. :tu:

BSK

TheLBLman":285b9z3s said:
Andy S.":285b9z3s said:
I agree 110%. With that said, the million dollar question is do those that make the rules think it ever will, and more importantly, do they want it to become a trophy state?
The answer to your question is "no".

The answer to Andy S.'s question is undeniably "yes."

BSK

fairchaser":28s72etb said:
TN would have to have something unique or some giant bucks and it has neither to draw hunters from afar. We have some beautiful settings and plenty of good deer but nothing too unique.

Agreed. We have Eastern mountain hunting but so do many other states.

We also have long gun seasons, but I believe South Carolina's are still longer, and Alabama might be close.

landman

Mike Belt":263ea1fm said:
I keep reading a lot of posts with projected results from regulation changes concerning Tn destined to become a trophy status state. Personally, I just don't see it. Any changes made may or may not possibly result in more deer available to hunt but just as water seeks it's on level, Tn is only capable of producing what it will. There have been deer present in the state for almost half a century and to my knowledge, Tn has never been classified a trophy destination. It would seem that the major reduction in limits over 10 years ago from 11 bucks/season down to 3 and then 2 would have netted some results towards that aspiration. I'm sure there have been some whoppers taken over the course of those years but not enough to re-classify our standings.

So-o-o, I'm interested in hearing thoughts on why some feel we're headed that direction. What will make the deer in Tn do that they have never been able to do in the past? Just what makes a trophy state? Is it the number of deer available for hunting? Is it the limits? Is it the size of the top end bucks or more likely, the number of mature bucks available to hunt, even though most may never reach record book status?

I hope it isn't classified as a Trophy state ever

Oh one correction the Buck Limit went from 11 to 2 to 3 back to 2

Latest posts