Time of Day Deer Sightings

UTGrad

What time are y'all seeing deer right now? The majority I've seen have been on the edges of daylight with the exception of last weekend I saw amped up bucks and does throughout the morning. I have seen a couple young bucks as early as 2:00 PM.

What time are y'all seeing them? Rut is here for sure.

backyardtndeer

Last week, they seemed to be on their feet throughout the day in this part of the state, north of Jackson. I killed one Wednesday mid morning around 10:30 and the one I killed on Saturday was about 6:45. I don't think I had ever killed one that late in the morning before.

Jcalder

My cameras have been dead for about 2 weeks. Might get a lone deer at some point at night and rarely of the day. The deer I've seen while hunting are sporadic at best and evenings have been terrible. The one deer I have killed was at 1230. Watched another buck the same day around 11. Watched a small buck on thanksgiving around 9. So a good majority of my sightings are later in the morning to early afternoon.

DoubleRidge

The last two weeks I'd say 6:30am to 10:00am has been the best. Then the last 1½ hour of daylight. But I've done multiple all day sits and have seen some midday movement, especially Nov-17th to 20th... currently midday is slow with morning hours being the most productive for deer sightings....but it's like I've told my buddy a thousand times...while I love seeing high numbers of deer... I'm only looking for one.

Lost Lake

Usually from 8-9am is magic hour. But I've noticed a lot of buck movement between 10 and noon. I've also seen a lot of older buck movement between 2-3pm as well.

They're in lockdown mode on our place right now, and I watched a 3.5 year old breed a small doe twice and fend off rival bucks at the same time.

They're corralling does in the thickest cover they can find there, and it's either feast or famine on sightings.

RockMcL

Usually from 8-9am is magic hour. But I've noticed a lot of buck movement between 10 and noon. I've also seen a lot of older buck movement between 2-3pm as well.

They're in lockdown mode on our place right now, and I watched a 3.5 year old breed a small doe twice and fend off rival bucks at the same time.

They're corralling does in the thickest cover they can find there, and it's either feast or famine on sightings.
I am seeing similar right now. If you can't go to them then you need to try to get close to where they are holding and catch either the interloper trying to bust a girl out or top dog chasing and interloper out far enough for you to get a shot.

Don't bet that the biggest buck has the doe covered...

Lost Lake

I am seeing similar right now. If you can't go to them then you need to try to get close to where they are holding and catch either the interloper trying to bust a girl out or top dog chasing and interloper out far enough for you to get a shot.

Don't bet that the biggest buck has the doe covered...
That's right. I saw a twisted racked 3-4.5 year old hot on a doe last weekend, with bigger racks behind him all following, with several age classes represented.

He turned and ran off all of them and got back after her. It went on for two hours keeping me pinned in my tree til well after 1pm. Fun watching.

Last edited:

BSK

For those with an acorn crop failure this year, first and last hour of daylight. If you have acorns, morning movement peaks a little later (7 - 8 AM).

Attachments

• OlderBuckTimes.jpg
    OlderBuckTimes.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 27

Latest posts