Ticks

flyinpro

I've noticed an increase in ticks around my home and up on my hunting spots this year. Anyone else notice this??

Found this online published 4 days ago.

A mild winter is likely the culprit of a higher tick population this year. Ticks tend to thrive in warm environments. High humidity and mild winters equal more time for the tick population to grow.

According to professor Stylianos Chatzimanolis with the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, the mild winter is not the only reason for the higher tick numbers.

"The reason that we have a lot of ticks is because we have a lot of acorns, which means we have a lot of small mammals with a lot of food," he said. "When the small mammal population is large, that means you have a lot of ticks."

Ticks are most commonly found in leaf litter, brush, trees and thrive in warm temperatures and high humidity.

Ticks are most common in Tennessee from April through June but typically are around until late September. There are over 15 species of ticks in Tennessee with the most common being the American Dog Tick.

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
Funny, I thought it got pretty cold this winter. The acorn—>small mammal explanation has nothing to do with winter temps.
Even that surprises me. I thought we had a late freeze this spring that was going to bode poorly for acorns this year.

Uncle Jesse

I haven't noticed any increase but my cousin does landscaping in Grundy county and he was just talking about how they're seeing a lot more this year

knightrider

There are more than i have ever seen! Its not just a summer problem anymore, i work outside and have them every week of the year, they no longer go away for any period of time!

Carlos

The Four Poster deer feeder is available for sale. It's rather pricey. The rollers you see are soaked with insecticide that kills ticks.

I made my own out of scrap material. The only thing is, I have to add corn and spray the carpet with insecticide every couple of days. Trail cam pics in my area proves it really works.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210720-091243_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210720-091243_Chrome.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 95
  • Screenshot_20210720-091856_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20210720-091856_Photos.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 92
  • Screenshot_20210720-091913_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20210720-091913_Photos.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 90
  • Screenshot_20210720-091243_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210720-091243_Chrome.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 92

Carlos

The pictures don't show much about the one I made. It's just a plastic barrel with a rectangle hole cutout of the bottom. Then it's covered with some carpet, that's spilt down the middle. As the tick-toters feed on the bait, their neck and ears get a little dose of Permethrin.

Did I ever mention how much I HATE TICKS? Seems like the kiddos don't pick up nearly as many since I started using this.

BSK

"The reason that we have a lot of ticks is because we have a lot of acorns, which means we have a lot of small mammals with a lot of food," he said. "When the small mammal population is large, that means you have a lot of ticks."
That's interesting reasoning I've never heard before. Would be interesting to see which areas have the most ticks this year, as last fall my area had almost no acorns. We are also not seeing a big tick year this year.

I was working up on the Plateau outside Dunlap this spring and I couldn't believe how many red oak acorns were still on the ground from last fall. I wonder if they are having a big tick year this summer.

JCDEERMAN

I would think out of the things listed for a high or low tick density, it would be more reflective on weather and leaf litter. Leaf litter is a cesspool for ticks - so that's just about everywhere. Areas that are burned on a rotation should have a minimal population of ticks. Once the leaf litter is burned and is dry, ticks can not survive. They need moisture. I suspect the density to be down this year due to that huge freeze/snow/ice we had for about a 2 week period. That was rough

Ski

I'm not seeing a lot of ticks ere in Coffee Co. or my place up in Ohio, at least not more than normal.

FWIW, I have noticed ticks are heavy where deer are heavy. Trails, beds, food sources, etc. is where I get ticks.

TheLBLman

I'm afraid the ticks are "evolving", and not in a good way.

First, there are more of them now, than in times past.
Same places, as a child, I could play in the weeds, rarely get a tick on me.
Today, without Permethrin, I would be covered in them.

Also, I'm seeing a lot when the temperature is below 50.

I go to great pains in pre-soaking all my clothing with Permethrin, frequently.
But ticks seem to be getting more resistant to it.

KPH

Funny thing when I was young person I never got a tick on me out in the fields and woods. Would get covered up with chiggers, and the dogs would get ticks. Now it seems the opposite I don't get chiggers but if I don't use something I get ticks.

TheLBLman

Not sure if we're just more aware of the dangers from ticks,
or if they've become more dangerous,
but many people don't realize just how dangerous are ticks!

They really can kill you, or cripple you, or make you where you cannot eat ANY meat.
Imagine going the rest of your life unable to enjoy a big fat steak,
and you've imagined the least of the bad things a single tick bite can do to you.

DoubleRidge

Ticks are no doubt worse this year in our area....even in the yard.....never had issues working in the yard.... this year wife and I both have picked up ticks doing simple yard work...worst year I've seen.....when I'm going in the timber or high grass I've sprayed down...permethrin works for me.

Thelonegoose

Not sure if we're just more aware of the dangers from ticks,
or if they've become more dangerous,
but many people don't realize just how dangerous are ticks!

They really can kill you, or cripple you, or make you where you cannot eat ANY meat.
Imagine going the rest of your life unable to enjoy a big fat steak,
and you've imagined the least of the bad things a single tick bite can do to you.
I worry about this every day that I am in the woods. I cannot imagine living the rest of my life without another prime rib or smoked brisket.

Planking

I second on the Sawyer's not being a complete protectant from ticks. I was up north last month and it would work some but i still got ticks everyday. First time i have ever used it.

Latest posts