Thuddy-Thuddy Struck

puppy

Killed my 1st deer with a 30-30 that looked exactly like that in Cocke County on Cherokee NF land, it was 1984 and deer were few and far between then. Couple years later bought a 30-06, then couple more a 300 WM and lastly built a custom 300 RUM said all that to lead up to last 3 yrs. have been hunting with my Dad's Marlin 336 30-30 and have a $3,000 dollar safe queen that I hunt with once per year to justify not selling it. My dad still hunts with me but uses a 30-06 I bought him and just for that reason since he never really liked the gun so I took over his 30-30 that my mom bought for him in 1974. Hunting is more about memories instead of killing as I get older, saw my first deer killed with that 30-30 when I was about 6, it was freezing cold with a little skiff of snow and I was wrapped up in a sleeping bag when dad shot it, still remember running to it sliding in the snow.

winchester77jj

puppy":15olxw1r said:
Killed my 1st deer with a 30-30 that looked exactly like that in Cocke County on Cherokee NF land, it was 1984 and deer were few and far between then. Couple years later bought a 30-06, then couple more a 300 WM and lastly built a custom 300 RUM said all that to lead up to last 3 yrs. have been hunting with my Dad's Marlin 336 30-30 and have a $3,000 dollar safe queen that I hunt with once per year to justify not selling it. My dad still hunts with me but uses a 30-06 I bought him and just for that reason since he never really liked the gun so I took over his 30-30 that my mom bought for him in 1974. Hunting is more about memories instead of killing as I get older, saw my first deer killed with that 30-30 when I was about 6, it was freezing cold with a little skiff of snow and I was wrapped up in a sleeping bag when dad shot it, still remember running to it sliding in the snow.

Great story. I love to hear about those memories. I'm turning 40 next week and hunting isn't the same for me as it used to be. Miss the feeling from when I was 10. A deer didn't have to be anything special to inspire tremendous awe and give me the shakes so bad I could be still. And that old marlin was all I needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts