Thoughts on Lead Sled

Jcalder

Seems to be it would be a harder "blow" to the weapon, as the sled simply absorbs the energy that would otherwise have been transferred to your shoulder.

The sled is stopping the gun's backward movement quicker, than would occur if the rifle were simply shoulder fired.

But I'm still having difficulty understanding how this is more stress on the scope,
as it seems it might be less rather than more.

But as to the gun's action & stock, definitely more stress.
Watch a gun's reaction in slow motion and it starts making sense. The weak spot in a rifle is almost always the in the wrist. When it can't move it puts all the stress there. That's why it's been known to crack stocks. The next weak link is north of the action.

Omega

Seems to be it would be a harder "blow" to the weapon, as the sled simply absorbs the energy that would otherwise have been transferred to your shoulder.

The sled is stopping the gun's backward movement quicker, than would occur if the rifle were simply shoulder fired.

But I'm still having difficulty understanding how this is more stress on the scope,
as it seems it might be less rather than more.

But as to the gun's action & stock, definitely more stress.
My theory is that the rifle, being made to absorb the recoil, minus what the shoulder takes, and the few moving parts, does fine, but some scopes are only made to take the recoil of whatever caliber rifle they are manufactured for. Since I have never seen it happen, or even heard anyone saying it destroyed my Leupold, Vortex, or even Bushnell, I can't be sure of the validity of my theory. I keep hearing stories about damage, but not sure there has been a study or compiled data as to which calibers or brands it affects. All I know is that my sled, with my rifles and scopes, do pretty good on getting zeroed in without my shoulder feeling like hamburger afterwards.

Now having said that, if you have issues with loose/bad scope, or mounts it may make the process worse since you may blame the sled not the rifle or scope. And I always recommend shooting a string to confirm zero in a manner in which you would shoot while hunting, that is why all I use is a front bag and or just offhand.

Omega

Here is a great video in and of itself, but watch the AK barrel when it is fired off the sled.

And this one just off the bipods.

PalsPal

I've never had an issue with a sled, but I don't weigh it down. I use it to hold the gun perfectly still until I squeeze the trigger. The sled still moves from the recoil. If you put so much weight on the sled that it can't move that energy has to go somewhere.

I think weighing it down might make a difference. Without the weight, as you mentioned, the sled still moves which reduces the force on the gun.

I'm not a "shooter" that strives for perfect accuracy. The only time I check my gun/scopes are prior to a hunting season. I didn't have a good setup for when it came time to check accuracy. I picked up a lead sled at a yard sale a few years back, and then made a mount for it so that I can lay it across the corner of a bed rail of my truck or SxS, and shoot from a standing position. It has worked perfectly for that.

Headhunter

For a gun with a lot of recoil, a sled can for sure cause damage, gun and/or scope.

I have never used one and prefer not to. I am not going to use one while hunting so not while I am "dialing" guns in either. Quality front rest and bags to get gun shooting where scope "says" it should, and then I shoot off sticks, bipod, freehand, etc. as much as possible to shoot as I would hunting.

Both archery and guns, I stopped shooting year round many years ago, to many hobbies and what I think is, I prefer to practice as much as I can during the hunting season. I will shoot my bow most everyday of archery season. Once a week for my guns. Most of "murphy happens" has happened with me from something happening to gun or bow while walking in and out, pulling them up and lowering from stands or parts (bow more so) wearing out at the wrong time. Kind of like motors, use it some everyday and things work better. Putting the gun or bow in the "corner" all year, getting it out, check it for a shot or 2 and then hunt with possibility of only getting one chance at what could be the deer of a lifetime, only to have a screw come loose on a mount or ring (before I learned how to properly torque screws for bases and rings) or a bowstring have an issue or a sight pin loosen up or a trigger get sticky or the archery release have an issue (one came apart and one got so sticky I would pull the bow to the left a small amount before releasing and it was not noticeable except that my arrow was a couple feet off, on of the few times in my life I got to shoot at deer that I missed with a bow more than once, at the time by far would have been my best buck, I show in front of him at 20 yards 3 times, went by George Curevich's shop and Glenn knew what was wrong immediately, oiled my release and I was dead center) or the crosshairs fall out of a cheap scope, etc. If it can happen it has happened to me, so I try to check my bow and guns as much as I can during the seasons.

Deer 1

I went with a buddy last week to shoot muzzleloaders. He brought a lead sled. My CVA normally shoots within an inch at 50 yards. He also has a CVA. Both of us shot 3 shots and both of us shot in a 4 inch circle. It was very humid that day. Everything I can find on humidity and blackpowder says that is no effect on accuracy. I was shooting White Hots and he was shooting Blackhorn. Then I started researching the Lead Sled. I found a lot of people that think the Lead Sled is useless and sand bags are the way to go. I normally use sand bags with no issues. What are y'alls thoughts?

I've heard they can changs the harmonics on muzzleloaders. So far i can cloverleaf with a rifle at reasonable yardage

Last edited:

skipperbrown

I went with a buddy last week to shoot muzzleloaders. He brought a lead sled. My CVA normally shoots within an inch at 50 yards. He also has a CVA. Both of us shot 3 shots and both of us shot in a 4 inch circle. It was very humid that day. Everything I can find on humidity and blackpowder says that is no effect on accuracy. I was shooting White Hots and he was shooting Blackhorn. Then I started researching the Lead Sled. I found a lot of people that think the Lead Sled is useless and sand bags are the way to go. I normally use sand bags with no issues. What are y'alls thoughts?
If the firearm is not held exactly the same way and the trigger pulled exactly the same way, it will affect point of impact. There is a lot of discussion by long range precision shooters, shooting out to a mile and further, about their position behind the rifle, support, bipod loading, trigger hand position, cheek weld, support hand position, and even butt bag materials (sand, pills, foam, etc) plus a lot of other details I have forgotten. And then there are other variables like angle to target, temperature, humidity, wind, etc.

It drives me crazy that I will work up a load that shoots less than 1/2 MOA and then a week later I'm shooting the same load over 1 MOA.

WTNBowHunter

I use the sled more for the "one shot zero" (fire one round on target, lock the gun down in the sled with the crosshairs on the bulls eye, then "walk" the crosshairs to the bullet hole.) I'll verify/fine tune with the sand bags.
Same. I don't have a bipod on my sons hunting rifle so the sleds are helpful for getting a zero quickly when I don't have bags. The purpose for me is getting a hunting rifle sighted in and ready to hunt for my 9 yr old.

RobDooley

I have the big lead sled and I have used it for years without issues. I essentially, cradle my firearm in the sled. I do not strap it down. Additionally, I use two bags of pennies for weight in the trays.

DMD

I tried lead sled type equipment for sighting in rifles and muzzleloaders. They didn't work for me. Groups were all over the place. I use sand bags. I've had much better success with them.

Rakkin6

Same set up. My " squeeze " bag for the rear stock an old wool sock filled with rice.
I use an army sock lined with knee high pantyhose a funnel and poly beads. I like the poly beads because they are uniform and don't absorb any moisture.

Latest posts