Thomas Jefferson (Borrowed)

Drycreek

Thomas Jefferson was a very remarkable man who started learning very early in life and never stopped.

At 5, began studying under his cousin's tutor.

At 9, studied Latin, Greek and French.

At 14, studied classical literature and additional languages.

At 16, entered the College of William and Mary.

Also could write in Greek with one hand, while writing the same in Latin with the other.

At 19, studied Law for 5 years starting under George Wythe.

At 23, started his own law practice.

At 25, was elected to the Virginia House of Burgesses.

At 31, wrote the widely circulated "Summary View of the Rights of British America," and retired from his law practice.

At 32, was a delegate to the Second Continental Congress.

At 33, wrote the Declaration of Independence.

At 33, took three years to revise Virginia's legal code and wrote a Public Education bill and statute for Religious Freedom.

At 36, was elected the second Governor of Virginia, succeeding Patrick Henry.

At 40, served in Congress for two years.

At 41, was American minister to France and negotiated commercial treaties with European nations along with Ben Franklin and John Adams.

At 46, served as first Secretary of State under George Washington.

At 53, served as Vice President and was elected President of American Philosophical Society..

At 55, drafted the Kentucky Resolutions and became the active head of the Republican Party.

At 57, was elected third president of United States .

At 60, obtained the Louisiana Purchase, doubling the nation's size.

At 61, was elected to a second term as President.

At 65, retired to Monticello.

At 80, helped President Monroe shape the Monroe Doctrine.

At 81, almost single-handedly, created University of Virginia and served as its' first president.

At 83, died on 50th Anniversary of the Signing of the Declaration of Independence, along with John Adams.

Thomas Jefferson knew, because he himself studied, the previous failed attempts at government. He understood actual history, the nature of God, His laws and the nature of man. That happens to be way more than what most understand today.

Jefferson really knew his stuff...

A voice from the past to lead us in the future:

John F. Kennedy held a dinner in the White House for a group of the brightest minds in the nation at that time. He made this statement:

"This is perhaps the assembly of the most intelligence ever to gather at one time in White House, with exception of when Thomas Jefferson dined alone."

"When we get piled upon one another in large cities, as in Europe, we shall become as corrupt as Europe ." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." -- Thomas Jefferson

"It is incumbent on every generation to pay its ' own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on, would save one-half the wars of world." -- Thomas Jefferson

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them." -- Thomas Jefferson

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." Thomas Jefferson

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes, the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson
quickreply.gif
Reply​

TNGunsmoke

I saw that list last week. It boggles my mind that he could write the same thing in two different languages at the same time between the left and right hand. I wonder what someone with that ability could accomplish today if they put their mind to it.

BSK

I saw that list last week. It boggles my mind that he could write the same thing in two different languages at the same time between the left and right hand. I wonder what someone with that ability could accomplish today if they put their mind to it.
My sister could write the same sentence simultaneously with both her right and left hand, except the left-handed sentence was written backwards. Perfect penmanship forwards and backwards.

Steverino

Supporter
Well. Edgumacate us which quotes are not? At Monticello.org this quote is attributed to him "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." “No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.” – Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776 - Federalist Papers.

I'm not being facetious or sarcastic so don't take this that way. But if some of these quotes are not his I'd like to know which and what is the source of that. BTW Snopes tries to whitewash the debarred statement by a follow up statement attributed to Jefferson. So if Snopes doesn't like it - it must be true. ;)

jameseboy

Jefferson is a very complex man. A true leader of liberty he kept slaves. For all his beliefs on liberty he imposed an embargo denying Americans the right to ship their goods and crushing new England’s economy. He believed in limited Government but when the opportunity came he implemented the Louisiana Purchase with no real Constitutional authority to do so. He was also very petty pushing for example for the trial of Aaron Burr for treason when, as the trial showed, there was not enough evidence for conviction. If you like history read Gore Vidal’s Burr. It’s history based fiction with a different view on some things. I found Theodosia quite interesting

WTM

Supporter
Well. Edgumacate us which quotes are not? At Monticello.org this quote is attributed to him "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." “No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.” – Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776 - Federalist Papers.

I'm not being facetious or sarcastic so don't take this that way. But if some of these quotes are not his I'd like to know which and what is the source of that. BTW Snopes tries to whitewash the debarred statement by a follow up statement attributed to Jefferson. So if Snopes doesn't like it - it must be true. ;)
yes a couple are his quotes but you can read on monticello.org under spurious quotes. i guess i should have said some or most arent. some of the quotes folks attribute to him actually first appeared in the 20th century and some in the 1980's. you can tell from the writing prose or writing style that they are different.

here are a few:

Last edited:

Crappie Luck

Staff member
"At 55, drafted the Kentucky Resolutions and became the active head of the Republican Party."

It was not the Republican party we know today. Today's (R) party was created on the issue of abolition of slavery.
What Jefferson was a leader of was the "Democrat Republican Party". It was more of an anti-federalist party who's main platform was limiting the power of the Federal Government.

Steverino

Supporter

Trophy of the moment

• Trophy by Gabe Dunham
    Gabe nailed this fine buck with his muzzleloader.
    • Gabe Dunham
    • Updated:

Latest posts