This is not cool

fredfred

photobucket-48350-1363563325752_zpsb1fc6f43.jpg
[/img]

Some guy thought this would catch a hog!!!!!
Well all it caught was my dog :mad: Not this one but one about 20 yards from it. Luckly it was a soft catch trap unlike this one. I didn't take a picture of the one that caught my dog because it was covered in his blood. The trap was legal as far as I know, except for not having a name on it. Which was probably a good thing at the time because I could have rung his neck for this stupidy. The trap was right in the middle of a hog trail.

Now if you want to trap hogs thats fine with me but don't do it this way. I'm pretty sure my dog will be fine but if he would've gotten in the one above I would've had a crippled dog.

brmaster

Man, you would think he might tell you he got some traps out so something like this wouldnt happen.
Hope the dog is okay and you too, as I know it scared you as much as it hurt your dog

pressfit

I guess in 30 years of trapping..that is the first time I have ever seen a trap anchored with a rope...definatley not a trapper..but some goof ball that owns a couple of traps.. hope your dog is ok

KPH

pressfit said:
I guess in 30 years of trapping..that is the first time I have ever seen a trap anchored with a rope...definatley not a trapper..but some goof ball that owns a couple of traps.. hope your dog is ok
I am not a trapper but that was my thought.

Sako

fredfred said:
Right on the property line. It was on his land, but thats not the point.

I beg to differ... your dog should not be on his property. Sorry your dog got caught but the facts are the facts. neither you or your dog should be on his property without his permission. You certainly have a fair share of blame for this.

fishboy1

Sako said:
fredfred said:
Right on the property line. It was on his land, but thats not the point.

I beg to differ... your dog should not be on his property. Sorry your dog got caught but the facts are the facts. neither you or your dog should be on his property without his permission. You certainly have a fair share of blame for this.

Ouch! Sako is right. There is a state wide leash law for a reason.

IS it POSSIBLE that your neighbor is having problems with dogs running loose? Chasing cattle? Harassing his pets? Getting into his trash? Killing his chickens?

I hate to hear about pets getting injured, run over, sick, or otherwise damaged.... I especially hate to hear irresponsible owners complain when they have not taken proper measures to ensure the health and safety of THEIR pets.

Dogs running loose is a HUGE problem.

CATCHDAWG

The above statements have nothing to do with a trap that is set illegally on top of the ground. The soft catch would be legal only with the landowners permission.

fishboy1

Not saying the "trapper" isn't a doofus.

Just pointing out that dogs allowed to run loose get into trouble.
Squashed on Roads, trash, eat stuff, interactions with other dogs including fights & unwanted breeding, scaring/upsetting neighbors, getting into traps, and a host of other potential problems.

If the guys dog was properly and legally restrained, it never would have gotten into the illegally set trap.
Same as if it had gotten squashed on the road or drank some antifreeze a neighbor had spilled on the ground fixing his car.

Sako

CATCHDAWG said:
The above statements have nothing to do with a trap that is set illegally on top of the ground. The soft catch would be legal only with the landowners permission.

The original poster even said he thought everything was legal. I am sure the landowner gave himseld permission to set the trap. :)

fredfred

You guys have no idea what your talking about. The leash law doesn't apply to a hunting dog. I have told my dogs over and over not to cross the property line but they cant understand! I was going to retrieve the dog as soon as it crossed the proprty lines but it got there before me. Now If I wanted to be a real butthole about it I could've took him to the vet and took the trap owner the bill as per the laws on trapping.

"All trapping devices must be clearly marked with
the owner�s name. All traps must be inspected
every 36 hours or less and animals removed.
When trapping on another�s property, the trapper
must carry on his or her person written permission
from the landowner, and make a written
report to the owner of any domestic animal
caught and pay damages for those animals

fredfred

The trap he got caught in was legal except for there was no name on it. But again thats not the point!!!! Point is don't just throw a #2 steel trap were anything can get caught in it. That thing was big enough to catch small kids foot in it

Kimber45

Owners right or not, just plain ignorant on his part to set those traps like that. Regardless of ownership, this day and time, he could be facing charges and paying out the wazoo for liability resulting from a kid, adult or any other "tresspasser" getting hurt

ImThere

fredfred said:
You guys have no idea what your talking about. The leash law doesn't apply to a hunting dog. I have told my dogs over and over not to cross the property line but they cant understand! I was going to retrieve the dog as soon as it crossed the proprty lines but it got there before me. Now If I wanted to be a real butthole about it I could've took him to the vet and took the trap owner the bill as per the laws on trapping.

"All trapping devices must be clearly marked with
the owner�s name. All traps must be inspected
every 36 hours or less and animals removed.
When trapping on another�s property, the trapper
must carry on his or her person written permission
from the landowner, and make a written
report to the owner of any domestic animal
caught and pay damages for those animals
So it ok you was only going to trespass for a min?
Failed logic, sorry im not buying it. I'm sorry your dog got hurt but somehow i think you need to reevaluate how your looking at this. I dont think anybody thinks they should have to ok what they are doing on there property with there neighbor.