This is for spur

Mudbone

Still no Deer. I am in shock.
There was puddles of blood still wet. Lots of bubbles in it. I can tell it's coming from his mouth and the one hole.(no exit)
I will be back looking today simply because I KNOW he's dead. I know I'm screwing up my hunting spot which is the best place I've ever had but I just can't quit looking. The blood just stopped after a while. I don't get it. It wasn't the best angle and I'm upset w myself. Knew I shouldn't have shot but my finger just did it. Idk what happened. I couldn't get on him with a dog yet. I may have a friend w one go today if he can while I'm at work.
The buck basically parallel a big hill and the blood just stopped when there was spot he either had to go down towards houses or around the hill. I hate myself over this. This is the Deer I dropped my rattling horns and scared earlier
In the season. I probly won't hunt anymore this season. Don't think I could knowing this deer is laying out there. I just hope he hasn't gone down and across the street.ten freaking Yds.
I think a good dog could just run up to him but idk if it's too late.
The blood is still wet because the puddles were so large. Still wet yesterday afternoon.
I've got an idea where he is I'm just scared to go there as I am not allowed to hunt there.
How long would it take for buzzards to find him? Generally speaking.
I always seem to somehow screw up my best deer.

Jaahspike

Buzzards are pretty friggin quick to find death. It seems like they start circling within a few hours of when we field dress a deer. Now that is a little different probably because all the guys are exposed. So maybe it would take them a whole day? Very glad to hear you are not giving up yet!!! Good luck.

cbhunter

Just because the buzzards find the deer, doesn't mean 100% that your going to see them. I have left deer to go get 4 wheeler (1 hour after kill) and when I get back, the buzzards have started eating on their rear and their eyeballs. Rare but it does happen from time to time. I sure hope you find him. Got any trail cam pics of him? Seems like you may have posted them before.

GRIT

You said that you got an idea where he is but you can't hunt there.
I would go to that area as close as you could get were you have permission to go and start there if he is still alive you can push him back your way if he is dead you might find him.But if he was heading to were i couldn't hunt i would stop pushing him that way.He may have all ready made it to were you can't go never no.

Spurhunter

Mudbone":ag026p1w said:
There was puddles of blood still wet. Lots of bubbles in it. I can tell it's coming from his mouth and the one hole.(no exit)
I will be back looking today simply because I KNOW he's dead. I know I'm screwing up my hunting spot which is the best place I've ever had but I just can't quit looking. The blood just stopped after a while. I don't get it. It wasn't the best angle and I'm upset w myself. Knew I shouldn't have shot but my finger just did it. Idk what happened. I couldn't get on him with a dog yet. I may have a friend w one go today if he can while I'm at work.
The buck basically parallel a big hill and the blood just stopped when there was spot he either had to go down towards houses or around the hill. I hate myself over this. This is the Deer I dropped my rattling horns and scared earlier
In the season. I probly won't hunt anymore this season. Don't think I could knowing this deer is laying out there. I just hope he hasn't gone down and across the street.ten freaking Yds.
The blood is still wet because the puddles were so large. Still wet yesterday afternoon.
I've got an idea where he is I'm just scared to go there as I am not allowed to hunt there.

Is it possible he got near a road and got picked up? If I had blood to follow and he crossed the line I would leave my gun and continue on but you have no blood. Sounds similar to the one I tracked a couple years ago. I wondered if he got picked up by someone on the neighboring property but there were no drag marks. Sometimes it defies all logic.

Mudbone

Spurhunter":jn248dfl said:
Mudbone":jn248dfl said:

Is it possible he got near a road and got picked up? If I had blood to follow and he crossed the line I would leave my gun and continue on but you have no blood. Sounds similar to the one I tracked a couple years ago. I wondered if he got picked up by someone on the neighboring property but there were no drag marks. Sometimes it defies all logic.
I wondered the same thing. I did find a stand in the general area he went. It is very possible he got picked up if he went down where I think he possibly did.
I remember hearing dogs ive never heard before going crazy in the general area the evening I shot him. I'm gonna go look one more time this eve if I get off in time and then call it quits I guess. I've got a friend that's been dying to hunt the spot and I'll probly turn it over to him the rest of the year as I know there is more good deer in the area and he really wants a good Deer. I think he made a turn where the blood stopped. Up down or around the hill is the only place he could have gone. If he held his path he would have ended up at someone's back door.
This Deer bled better than any of the last ten deer I have recovered. I'm dumbfounded. Never even found arrow. His trail is the trail of an obviously injured Deer. If I only had a dog. The landowner has two untrained jack russels. I wonder if they could get on it? Damn this is tearing me up. Makes me want to quit hunting all together. If my finger would have only listened to my head. I truly didn't mean to shoot.

Spurhunter

Don't turn your hunting spot over yet. And you've beaten yourself up enough. You put in a respectable effort to find him. I know exactly how you feel but you'll be ready to get back out there in a few days. I always wonder, why is it in fishing and hunting it's always a big one that gets away. Take a few days to clear your head then get back out there. Don't give your spot away just yet. No good decision is made when you are tore up emotionally.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Mudbone

I know this deer is dead I just have to find him. I'm thinking I may not give up ever. Him getting picked up is my biggest fear. He was big enough that anyone probly even a non hunter would take him. The more I replay the shot in my head the more I realize the shot wasn't that bad. Not ideal of course but I have hit them worse and watched them drop in sight.
Oh yeah, I don't know if I had said this but I heard him sort of cough a bit around the last place I saw him. He is definitely dead. The amount of bubbly blood was just too much for him to survive. If I keep looking farther and farther I think I'll find him. It's thick as heck and I could have easily walked all over him. I need some more eyes in the woods I think. I almost lost a well hit Deer earlier this year just cause he didn't bleed but I eventually walked up on him. Went back to get knives and stuff and played hell finding him again. A down Deer can be very easily walked by. It's amazing how well they can blend in.
This deer is all I can think of. He's beautiful :bash:

Dbllunger

They can and do survive a single lung shot sometimes. It is possible you had a single lung and the big boy survives it.

I hope you still find him dead but if not, keep your head up and realize that this sometimes happens. Maybe he makes it and you see him next year.

GRIT

This is probably no help to you but i shot a buck in some think stuff one time couldn't find him.Went and got some help we looked for about 7 or so hours.I was walking at the edge of the thicket and wood and a big batch of starlings flew up so i walked to were they flew up at and there was my deer.I guess they was eating the ticks/bugs off of him.

Good luck

TN Larry

I wouldn't give up and would try to recruit as much help as I could. Sometimes a deer will start making a circle back to the shot and back the direction that it came from if it ran the opposite direction. I would try to think about where there is no way that he went and look there too. It sounds like a dead deer, but they can survive a single lung hit. I would do everything that I could to get a dog even today. I know that there is a blood trailing network and would try to get one. I would take one of the neighbor's jack russels if I had to. It can't hurt. My cousin had a jack russel that was a good blood trailer.

Good luck.

Daniel90

Spurhunter":15ttpxtv said:
Mudbone":15ttpxtv said:

So you would break the law? Instead of asking the landowner for permission.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Spurhunter

Daniel90":myuir73v said:
Spurhunter":myuir73v said:
If I had blood to follow and he crossed the line I would leave my gun and continue on

So you would break the law? Instead of asking the landowner for permission.

If I had a way to contact the landowner, of course I would. I have the contact info for some of the adjoining landowners to my property. But a lot of the big tracts these days are owned by a group of investors. The only info you see is "JKC Investments" or something along those lines. Pretty much impossible to get a contact number. In that case, I would have a choice to make and I would choose to pursue the downed animal, ready to accept any consequences that might come my way. I am no advocate of trespassing or breaking the law, but in this particular case, I think my ethical duty to retrieve that downed animal trumps a property line. It's a personal decision everyone would have to make for themselves. I would make my decision ready to accept any consequences.

Mudbone

The saga continues. He's stil alive and still bleeding pretty dang good. Zach came and helped me look and we jumped him out of his bed. He hadn't gone far at all. Went back to where he always beds. It's a one lung shot. Blood still bubbly. I suck.
Deer are tough. He may live. Unless I see him again. Long story but I know hat to do.

Latest posts