Thinking of my first .45 ACP

FTG-05

FTG-05

I'm thinking of getting my first .45 ACP pistol since my dad's .45 1911 was stolen Dec. 1986. Since I daily OC a S&W 329PD scandium framed .44 Mag, I'd like something pretty light.

Hence, I'm looking at this S&W Performance Center scandium framed SW1911.

Anyone have one? Good, bad, ugly? Good source/FFL in SC TN?

Pic:

170344_01_lg_0.jpg

RUGER

RUGER

Supporter
I don't have one but that is one fine looking pistol right there!

duckduck84

duckduck84

From a looks stand point it's nice, but I'm not a fan of those cuts in the slide exposing the barrel. Seems like a good way to get gunk down in there.

I am also not a big S&W fan, but that's a personal thing. I think there are better 1911 platforms out there for similar money. Springfield Armory being one of them.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

M

mike243

nice pistol and those "cuts" will keep the muzzle under control allowing for quicker follow up shots,don't want to thumb some thing before it will go bang,if I need 1 I want it as quick as I can ,target shootings a different story,and I know locked and cocked no thanks lol lotta choices for every body to find something they like,I have no dislike of any weapon some just fit my need better than others

Wildcat

Wildcat

Supporter
Sorry but those "cuts" are in the slide and not the end of the barrel. They have zero muzzle control and are there just for looks.

D

doolin

duckduck84":2gs90x53 said:
From a looks stand point it's nice, but I'm not a fan of those cuts in the slide exposing the barrel. Seems like a good way to get gunk down in there.

I am also not a big S&W fan, but that's a personal thing. I think there are better 1911 platforms out there for similar money. Springfield Armory being one of them.

I like S&W a lot but I have to agree, I would go with Springfield Armory. Someone I use to work for loaned me his Springfield A-1 Yost custom 1911 for a couple months and all I can say is WOW.

FTG-05

FTG-05

I think this SW1911 looks a lot like their old Model 39 9mm and I've lusted for one of those since at least the mid-70's!

Wildcat

Wildcat

Supporter
FTG-05":1ih60udh said:
I think this SW1911 looks a lot like their old Model 39 9mm and I've lusted for one of those since at least the mid-70's!

I have one in 9mm.

Sorry I just remembered I have a Model 59 in 9mm, not the Model 39. There has got to be a better way to keep track of what I do have.

Wildcat

Wildcat

Supporter
doolin":1cdao99b said:
I like S&W a lot but I have to agree, I would go with Springfield Armory. Someone I use to work for loaned me his Springfield A-1 Yost custom 1911 for a couple months and all I can say is WOW.

I agree, I have been wanting a Springfield A-1 Yost custom for a long time. I love my Springfield XDS 45.

M

Mike Belt

I have an old 1911 45 auto Colt Commander... one of the most accurate 45s I've ever shot.

duckduck84

duckduck84

Wildcat":18atao0w said:
Sorry but those "cuts" are in the slide and not the end of the barrel. They have zero muzzle control and are there just for looks.
Bingo. Thats not barrel porting or a compensator, it's aesthetics.

M

Mike Belt

Good looking pistol Kimber. Price tag a little out of my league, lol.

G

Grill-n-man

1911s like ARs everybody making one and more options to choose from than a dog got ticks. Love a 1911 in 45acp. Shop around play the touchy-feely game. That's a nice one but here is something to consider, that gun is built more for competition than every day carry. Yeah those are nice at the range and running and gunning under the clock. But I would stay away from "performance" or "competition" models for every day carry. The are usually built under tight tolerances and that can lead it to stop working when dirt or pocket lint gets into the moving parts. Have seen more than one be real picky on ammo. For every day carry IMO a standard built model with tolerances loose enough that it will rattle a little when shaken, leaves room in the operating parts so that dirt and grim won't stop it from working. Also they will be less expensive. Also be careful on the trigger weight. A gun designed for competitive shooting will generally have a trigger that' is buttery slick and seems light as a feather so as shooting it seems like a dream, and that's all great at the range but in the real world all hyped up and the adrenaline flowing that dream can very quickly become a nightmare. Just some thoughts to consider when choosing between performance models and carry models. And there ain't nothing been done to a performance gun that you can't have done to base model 1911 down the road.