Think I am ready

Rakkin6

Got both my slug guns zeroed today. Now all I have left to do is just do a quick PCC/PCI check on all my little stuff like gear hoisting ropes, tree hooks etc. And I will be good to go. Picture on the left is with my Savage 212 and Hornady American Whitetail 325 grain slugs. I moved it 2 clicks right and 3 up and that is the hole up top by itself. Picture on the right is my Benelli SBE 2 with Winchester Partition Gold 385 Grain sabots. First two shots were low moved it up 6 clicks and was a little high for my taste dropped it 2 clicks and that is the one right above the bullseye. Both at 88 meters which is has far has the range I shoot on will go and yes it's marked in meters so that's right at 96 yards

Attachments

• IMG_20210919_130305947.jpg
    IMG_20210919_130305947.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20210919_130321875.jpg
    IMG_20210919_130321875.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 17
Last edited by a moderator:

fairchaser

Looks good to go but why the slug gun? I've got a slug barrel for my mossberg when I hunted Iowa but hope I never have to use one again. The idea of getting a scatter gun to shoot precisely like a rifle is an exercise in frustration and futility. Best of luck!

redblood

Looks good to go but why the slug gun? I've got a slug barrel for my mossberg when I hunted Iowa but hope I never have to use one again. The idea of getting a scatter gun to shoot precisely like a rifle is an exercise in frustration and futility. Best of luck!
Id assume hes hunting a state that dont allow centerfires. Savage 220 are crazy accurate

Patrick H

Both groups look great for a slug gun, especially at 96 yards!!!

I use to hunt in a shotgun only area. The best groupings I could get at 50 yards with a Hastings rifled choke tube were about 3", which is what Hastings advertised. I used Winchester BRI sabots.

Rakkin6

A 220 is in my future. Those little guns are amazing.

I assume your sbe is the rifled barrel? I've been wanting to get some reviews from somebody with one.
Yeah the SBE is a rifled barrel not an aftermarket purchase I bought it from Benelli has is with their slug gun setup. It's a tack driver. Shot a deer and dropped him in his tracks at 154 yards shooting the Federal Barnes Expanders with the blue tips. To bad they discontinued those but I shoot the Winchester Partition Gold's out of it now and the accuracy is has you see in the picture.

Rakkin6

I hunt Fort Campbell and it's shotgun or muzzleloader only no center-fire rifles allowed at all. And if you find the right load for your gun they are very accurate out to 150 yards. Heck I have have heard of guys making 200 yard shots with the Savage and Tarhunt slug guns. The key is finding that right slug, heck me and you could have the same exact Benelli SBE 2 and mine could like the Winchesrer Partition Gold and yours could like the Hornady SST it definitely can be trial and error at the beginning with a sore shoulder and a lighter wallet. I got lucky with both mine. My Benelli shot the Federal Barnes Expanders real well which is the first round I tried out of it. After they discontinued them I went to the Winchester Partition Gold's and it shoots them great. The Savage shot the Remington Accutips really well but I ran out of them and tried the Hornady American Whitetail and it loves them. But I know some guys have to try like 5 different loads from their guns before they find one it likes.

Rakkin6

A 220 is in my future. Those little guns are amazing.

I assume your sbe is the rifled barrel? I've been wanting to get some reviews from somebody with one.
I love my SBE 2 it shoots great. If you get one they tend to shoot the faster loads better. They have a 1/28 barrel twist compared to the 1/35 barrel twist that a lot of slug guns use. I can recommend a load but it may not be the same for you. I know mine loves the Winchester Partition Golds. It also shoots the Winchester Dual Bond and Federal Trophy coppers well. It didn't like the Hornady SST or the Remington Accutips. I know that mine likes to shoot clean, I do a thorough cleaning at the end and begining of each season and run a bore snake every 2 rounds when sighting it in. I would definitely buy one again.

If you get a 220 look at the Remington Accutips, Federal Trophy Coppers, Hornady American Whitetail they all shot good out of my 212. Not sure if you have used slug guns before but I recommend a quality scope. I have the Nikon Slughunters on both mine but Nikon stopped making scopes now. I would get the Leupold VX-Freedom Ultimate Slam Muzzleloader/Shotgun scope.

Latest posts