Things learned from trail-cameras

Tom Collins

I would love to see any correlation of scrape size to the age/size of buck.

Also, I recently made a scrape with my own urine and was surprised how many bucks investigated it.
Same. This was the first year I tried it and the results were stunning. I was shocked at how fast they found it. Bucks and does alike were all over it.

JCDEERMAN

Agreed that this is some really great info and hope it reveals more than any of us suspect! It took several years of logging/habitat improvement for me to realize the difference in those later morning movement hours and earlier afternoon movement hours. For years we never saw an older buck past 8am, so I would always pack up around 9am. Also would not see older bucks before about 30 minutes before dark. Starting in 2016, I guess we finally got the recipe right and percentage of good cover we needed compared to the majority of hardwoods. Because until then (17 years) of hunting the property, never did we see a target buck late in the morning or early in the evening. Now, it's commonplace to see this happen. We are seeing many target deer on into the 10am range and also around the 3pm timeframe.

What I mean by it "taking me several years to learn this"….it took me 10-12 times over the course of 6 years (2016 - present) of me spooking or observing target bucks during these "abnormal" times (traditionally for our property) for me to finally say this year - keep your butt in your stand until at least 10:30 and get back out there by 2pm. No excuses

Being that we created another 25 acres of cover and 11 acres of food plots this year, I'd say that trend will most definitely continue upward. From what I can tell, the amount of cover BSK said he created this year, you sir will see a huge difference in your data. Be prepared for it to throw you for a loop LOL. I'm not just talking next year, but for the next 10! Exciting times!

Latest posts