They are out and about

BSK

While moving stands around this last week, had several encounters with both rattlesnakes and copperheads. They are really out and about in this heat.

The below picture is from our hunting property's driveway. That fat fellow (10-12 rattles) was not backing down. First time I've had a timber rattler rattle at me.

Attachments

• Timber Rattler3.jpg
    Timber Rattler3.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 383

tn24

Wish you had thought to get your phone out and videoed him rattling.

Big Pop

Yeah that's a big fat boy right there! Heading to lease tomorrow and it's been couple years since I've seen one. I'll be on alert.

CATCHDAWG

Wish you had thought to get your phone out and videoed him rattling.
Reminds me of a time years ago when I was mountain biking up in south Cherokee and I saw a rattlesnake stretched out across the trail. I stopped and got off my bike just to check it out. The snake was extremely docile and just stayed where it was doing nothing. Then I get the bright idea that it would be cool to have a "rattle" for a ringtone (this was in the flip phone day's) so I commence to find two sticks, one forked to hold my phone and another to poke the snake. I was really surprised to see just how much poking it took to aggravate the snake. It finally coiled up into striking position but wouldn't rattle so I poked harder and it finally started to sound off. I was holding my phone in the forked stick and recording the sound. I'd play it back and was dissatisfied with the sound quality and I'd repeat the process with the same results. The snake never crawled off but was becoming extremely agitated! I finally told myself, dude, your in the middle of nowhere on a Wednesday and haven't seen a soul all day and intentionally trying to piss off a rattlesnake for a cool ringtone. I got back on my bike and me and the snake went our separate ways unharmed. Lol

BSK

Years ago, when we used to cut our food plots in late summer with a walk-behind DR Mower, it wasn't uncommon to have a squirming headless rattlesnake come out the back side of the mower directly under our feet.

fairchaser

Sorry but one that close to where I'm moving around would have to die. I don't want to encounter him in the dark. Besides, you can eat them and still have a nice hatband.

Latest posts