The snow tells the tale

Harold Money jr

I got invited to hunt a new farm this morning. It is the most game rich area I know of and the owner is worried about the yotes that howl every night. So I loaded up a couple packs of italian sausage for a gift to the owner and went hunting. It is a river bottom farm that had been logged about 5 years ago so it is thicket/hayfield/river. I walked a logging road until I came to a deep hollow that came out of thcket. I set up on the logging road with about a 100 yard shot across the hollow. As i sat there I noticed a privett bush that obscured a part of the hollow I thought I could pull a yote on out into the field as that was where my scent was going. I rabbit called for about 15 minutes then howled and finished with pup in distress. The sit was close to 40 minutes. I forgot to tell about the 15 longbeards that walked by at 30 yards on the logging road. I watched them walk into the woods. I walked on the logging road to where some of the turkeys had walked into the woods and I noticed Coyote tracks on top of the turkey tracks. It had come out of the woods onto the logging road thento the edge of the field it then turned and walked back the way it came. As luck would have it, it came in behind the privett I should have trimmed would have been a perfect 80 yard shot. Oh well.

bobthebowhunter

InfoMan said:
HM, you have apparently found proof that turkeys will trail coyotes. Everyone thought coyotes did the trailing.

the way i read it he's saying the coyote came after the turkeys, just never came out into the open.

Latest posts