The 'Nomad' buck

TN Whitetail Freak

notice scar under left jawbone on the morning picture and the original picture I started the thread with. I think that has something to do why his antlers are funky

TN Whitetail Freak

extreme ene cam location notice the time.

Attachments

• 00001603.JPG
    00001603.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 227

TN Whitetail Freak

Tomorrow nearly marks a year before this guy showed in this pinch for the first time. Coincidentally the conditions are setting up to be pristine and the stand i hung in May specifically for this buck specifically for this time period of 16th -18th. Im hoping to show this guys to you all in the coming days with the front moving through and 20* temp drop

TN Whitetail Freak

Went in this evening for my first strike and he did not show but I only missed him by a couple days. I pulled the cam and have 2 pictures of him since August 14th, one at 5:30pm and one at 2:45 pm and he's put on some good weight.. He's doing the same thing he did last year and checking the status of the does in this spot about once a week starting 2nd week of October. Ill try him again tomorrow being it will be about a week since he's checked the does. You see my stand just above his hips in the picture with the shoulder straps hanging 25 yds away.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201016-205230_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201016-205230_Gallery.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 147

TN Whitetail Freak

Hunted for this buck past couple of days and did not see a deer. Possibly missed my October window and again back to the drawing board my next move is to wait until last week of November to try him again where he was in the area the 11/26-12/2 last season. I was fighting swirling winds both evenings and I'm thinking I might have to back off to keep from blowing deer out of the area.

TN Whitetail Freak

Hunted for this buck past couple of days and did not see a deer. Possibly missed my October window and again back to the drawing board my next move is to wait until last week of November to try him again where he was in the area the 11/26-12/2 last season. I was fighting swirling winds both evenings and I'm thinking I might have to back off to keep from blowing deer out of the area.

megalomaniac

Hope you get a pic of him here and there to at least to let you know he's still in the area

TN Whitetail Freak

Well to update ya guys, I gave up this piece of ground. I tried the private land for 2 years and it just wasn't worth the price of admission as far as quality of animals. All the best deer I located have been on public and I had to let the property go. I'm in touch with other members so I may be able to close the thread if someone kills him. If he is still alive in 2021 I'd guess he's 6.5 this year.

TheLBLman

Hope you ultimately find out what happened or happens to this buck.
Agree he will be at least 5 1/2 this fall, likely 6 1/2 (or even older).

I tried the private land for 2 years and it just wasn't worth the price of admission as far as quality of animals. All the best deer I located have been on public and I had to let the property go.
Very interesting that you say that.
I and several others are coming to the same conclusion.

My thinking is that the better 2 1/2 & 3 1/2's are being "high graded" to a much greater degree on private leased lands than on public lands. Not that antler high grading doesn't happen anywhere there is deer hunting, but I see it happening most where serious hunters are willing to pay to think they're somehow "managing" the deer herd more.

What I'm seeing is that the highest scoring bucks being consistently killed are only 3 1/2 yrs old, with lots of very top-end 2 1/2's also being killed. Most ironically, antler restrictions seem to make this high-grading worse.

Totally different dynamics some private lands vs some public lands, but 2020 was 3 yrs in a row I believe I had a better chance at a 155-inch-plus TN buck on public lands than a relatively expensive lease. Odds were still pretty low everywhere I hunt (in TN) no matter where.

TN Whitetail Freak

Well to update ya guys, I gave up this piece of ground. I tried the private land for 2 years and it just wasn't worth the price of admission as far as quality of animals. All the best deer I located have been on public and I had to let the property go. I'm in touch with other members so I may be able to close the thread if someone kills him. If he is still alive in 2021 I'd guess he's 6.5 this year.
On a high note in 2 years I was on deer that would have scored at or above the best buck taken in 20 yrs on the place. I admit that also played a role in my decision along with other variables.