The market (again)

R

RandyinTN

We have another 10 years until we are forced to start pulling money out of our 401k. The gains over the last year have been impressive. Can’t shake a saying I heard years ago that went something like this: bears make money, bulls make money, and pigs get slaughtered. Yesterday I decided to take all of last years gains and move them to a “safe fund”. Still have the majority in the market but at least some of it is now protected and it will still generate modest earnings as interest rates climb. Time will tell. 10 years go by pretty fast.
Good luck handling your own portfolio.

7mm08

7mm08

I have done the same thing in the past two months. It’s called wealth management when you are getting close to the R word . Smart move and congrats.

I found a guy at UBS to help us make this happen and help us plan things out although I laughed when he took our numbers out to 93 years of age.

Chaneylake

Chaneylake

I have been an investor in the Market since 1986, I purchase stocks and keep them. I do not sell because of market conditions

I rode the financial collapse of 2008 era and never moved one penny.

made all my investments back plus hundreds of thousands dollars more.

my Son is a Financial Advisor/Broker with Morgan Stanley, been there for over 25 years, He is now a manager.

When he started invested for me I had only one comment to give him

"Don't screw this up because its your inheritance"

7mm08

7mm08

Exactly Chaneylake.
One just have to move equities into a more stable platform as we get older. Home Depot as you say instead of some 3D tech newby etc.

Chaneylake

Chaneylake

7mm08":lm1g4cg7 said:
Exactly Chaneylake.
One just have to move equities into a more stable platform as we get older. Home Depot as you say instead of some 3D tech newby etc.

bought Home Depot on September 9, 1993 at a initial cost of $8.81 per share

as I type this its sitting on $198.59, pays a 1.78% dividend, its up 1201.84% since my initial purchase

jlanecr500

jlanecr500

Supporter
A plant manager I once worked for showed me a fool proof method to 401k investments. I have used it for a long time .

Chart a graph with 2 media. One will be the 26 week average weekly closing of the S&P500. The other will be the 52 weekly closing average of the S&P500.

When the 26 week average drops below the 52 week average by 2% or more, move everything to guaranteed funds.

When the 26 week average crosses the 52 week average in a positive direction by 2% or more, move everything to high yield stocks.

You can use 1% or greater as the trigger.

Chapman

Chapman

Nothing wrong with taking some profits. It's much better than panic selling if things start going south. I agree about getting too greedy. I sold some Exxon when it crossed $100 a while back, a new record. It didn't stay there long and has yet to reach it again.

LanceS4803

LanceS4803

I'm less than 2 years away from mandatory retirement (age based).
I've moved 20% into government funds but it feels like playing Chicken with the rest.
It's almost time to move another 20%.

R

RandyinTN

Looks like the correction is here. Now I think about buying back in at some point.

huntinkev

huntinkev

RandyinTN":fqb6kigr said:
Looks like the correction is here. Now I think about buying back in at some point.

We knew this was coming at some point. All the "experts" knew it was coming at some point. It will continue to climb once it settles.

Wildcat

Wildcat

Supporter
huntinkev":q2l0kogc said:
RandyinTN":q2l0kogc said:

We knew this was coming at some point. All the "experts" knew it was coming at some point. It will continue to climb once it settles.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^

H

Hunter 257W

Wildcat":1zwlgnfh said:
huntinkev":1zwlgnfh said:
RandyinTN":1zwlgnfh said:

Yeah but that settling has been as much as 50% at times and can take years to recover. And what always gets glossed over is that "Recovering" i.e. "getting your money back" amounts to nothing more than ZERO gain. I say that now is a good time to be out of stocks and stay out for a while. Buying when the market is just taking a dip from an all time high is not the best time to expect a big long term gain. I'd prefer to wait until the losses are substantially greater myself.

huntinkev

huntinkev

Hunter 257W":29vybc2x said:
Wildcat":29vybc2x said:

Yeah but that settling has been as much as 50% at times and can take years to recover. And what always gets glossed over is that "Recovering" i.e. "getting your money back" amounts to nothing more than ZERO gain. I say that now is a good time to be out of stocks and stay out for a while. Buying when the market is just taking a dip from an all time high is not the best time to expect a big long term gain. I'd prefer to wait until the losses are substantially greater myself.

If you can hit it right, that is ok. Nobody can guess when the market will dip a little or a lot and for how long. It is risky trying to buy on the rise and sell on the dip, your timing is off and you could lose a lot of money. I have a stock that I was planning on selling a few weeks ago, it was down a little from what it had been and I had a target price in mind to sell. Now, it's down to much to sell, it's currently down about 35% from it's 52 week high in early December. It will come back but when it hits my new target price, I'm selling.

R

RandyinTN

Sooo, who is still preaching it’s a good time to buy? Market finished down over 1,000 points today. Think my investments will stay on the sidelines for now.

TreyB

TreyB

RandyinTN":30q4rnzo said:
Sooo, who is still preaching it’s a good time to buy? Market finished down over 1,000 points today. Think my investments will stay on the sidelines for now.

R-E-L-A-X

Wildcat

Wildcat

Supporter
RandyinTN":3k744fxk said:

I'm still saying it.

TODAY we just hit correction terriorty for the week. People have to understand it's not the high numbers we are seeing but the percentage of the market. We now have lost a little over 10% from the record high and THAT is a correction.

I do hold some stocks for an investment but I'm not an invistor, I'm more a trader than anything else. Today trading on one single stock I turned $1,000 investment into a $2,600 profit ( cash in my account) by the time the market closed and I still own the $1,000 worth of stock.

Chaneylake

Chaneylake

I am a long term investor

I knew that the correction was coming, simply because of the run up since
Trump was elected

I have sold nothing

Going to ride this puppy out