• Help Support TNDeer:

the garden bench is done

WTM

just have to get some more screws for the support straps. turned out pretty good condidering i had to use a rotor razor to rip the boards and hand sand the planks. at least i remember how to weld cast iron.

391972D0-506D-42B0-AC09-E806A4094BD6.jpeg

WTM

Looks great, I need to redo the wood I have on a similar bench.
yeah i was worried about the strength of cedar but surpisingly 1” thick stuff is fairly stout. i can sit on it without the support strap and it barely flexes.

couple of tips: attach the back planks first that way its fairly square when you put the seat planks on. then tighten them down all at the same time. seems like a couple of holes drilled on this bench were off a little. if you have all the old planks then you can transfer all the holes and drill them. i only had one back plank as a pattern and the holes lined up on all but three so i had mark the holes individually.

i use spar urethane for the finish. a couple of coats and sanding with 320 in between to knock off the raised splinters.

cedar splinters hurt worse than regualr splinters.

DaveB

Yes indeed, I like it.

How did you keep it square?

I saw an auction (mClemore) where some seemingly nice wood was up for bids, lots of stuff for someone with tools and skill.

WTM

Yes indeed, I like it.

How did you keep it square?

I saw an auction (mClemore) where some seemingly nice wood was up for bids, lots of stuff for someone with tools and skill.
it had these holes drilled in that i assume was for some type of stabalizer bar, so i made one out of 1/4 all thread rod. i put a torpedo level on the side of the frame to get it square vertically by adjusting the nuts on the rod. then after i had the slats bolted to just snug, i rolled it forward so the lions heads were on the garage floor then i tightened down the slats. this made it square horizontally. that was about the only way i could figure to get it square. when i get the screws for the support im gonna get a 3/8 piece of steel pipe, primed and painted to match, and slide the allthread through and tighten the crap out of it. seems like these old benches sell for a couple hundred. lol, i got 50 bucks in it.

451199EB-653B-41B3-9F40-35DBE18305F8.jpeg

Primary

Primary

TNDeer Assistant
Here are some related products that TNDeer members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TNDeer’s partner,Primary, where you can find links to TNDeer discussions about these products.

Latest posts