The Future

JeepKuntry

JeepKuntry

Between Rsimms topic on the stages of a hunter, and Rugers about the ceiling cost for fishing/hunting, how do you see the future of hunting? I see many of the posters here are nearing the end of hunting. Once you guys spot spending money of licenses, or cut cost, TWRA is gonna be hurtin. Our sport is slowly dying. And TWRA shot themselves in the foot with lifetime licenses. Because most of children/grandchildren have lifetime licenses.

Wildcat

Wildcat

Supporter
I have posted this before for years and nothing I've seen has changed my mind.

Today is the "good ol days of hunting".

Our way of hunting back when I first started out was to "save" the game animals and increase their numbers, back then it was rare to see a deer or turkey in the neighborhood so we had to go way out into the country. Today it is trying to keep the populations under control which is not happening. Tomorrow it will be to clear them out for more houses, schools, malls, etc and to keep them out of the crops needed to feed all those people. There will not be as many hunters with prices keep getting higher and higher.

AT Hiker

AT Hiker

Access is the future of hunting, IMO. The more accessible public lands we have the more outdoorsman we can recruit and handle.
Let’s hope Secretary Zinke lives up to his end of the bargain and continue to expand public access.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RUGER

RUGER

Supporter
I see it going the way it has gone in other countries.
Between loss of habitat and the steadily rising costs of enforcing game laws and in turn the costs of licenses along with rising lease costs due to trophy hunting regulations.
I think in the not so distant future unless you have 20 to 30 thousand dollars of expendable income per year you won't be able to hunt.
Not just in TN but anywhere.
Basically it's gonna be a rich mans game.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

JeepKuntry

JeepKuntry

To me, cost is the most important factor. Today, kids are willing to pay hundreds of dollars for gaming devices or phones. Will they be willing to pay that hunt/fish? As AT Hiker posted, I hope that we have access to public land. What I am fearful of is outsiders dictating what happens on that land. Will they allow atvs, bikers, hikers, etc...to use without a license or permit? Todays post are a constant reminder that our sport may very well die off if we don't actively try to get kids outdoors. May this serve as a reminder to not be critical of others. If they follow the guidelines, but happy for them.

Bambi Buster

Bambi Buster

RUGER":3kd7c1bk said:
Between loss of habitat and the steadily rising costs of enforcing game laws and in turn the costs of licenses along with rising lease costs due to trophy hunting regulations.
I think in the not so distant future unless you have 20 to 30 thousand dollars of expendable income per year you won't be able to hunt.

I foresee the same scenario. The last holdouts will be a lucky few who live in the West where there are large tracts of public land available. The rising cost of licenses will eventually do them in as well.

AT Hiker

AT Hiker

Bambi Buster":dsvc81u6 said:
RUGER":dsvc81u6 said:

I foresee the same scenario. The last holdouts will be a lucky few who live in the West where there are large tracts of public land available. The high costs of licenses will eventually do them in as well.

Western tags for residents are still affordable. A resident elk tag in Wyoming is $57 versus and non resident is $692. So until they price the non residents out of the game, locals have an affordable option.
At least I hope they stay affordable, because my retirement home is gonna be in Wyoming!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chaneylake

Chaneylake

5 of us are paying roughly $1250.00 each for our dove fields

The above number is only chemicals, seed and fertilizer

Equipment costs, time, fuel, etc is extra $

L

larry ipock

RUGER":44wt2ywa said:

COULD NOT HAVE SAID IT BETTER

M

mike243

It's going to be the same way it is in Brittan and other country's .I posted this many years ago and don't believe many folks really understand that we are sliding that way.the land holding company's are making a lot more $ leasing land out vs selling permits and they don't have to police them win/win for them.At 56 I will be dead and thrown in the wind by the time Trophyism and jealousy and $ end our sport for the common man,I will be trying to leave some thing to make sure the great grand kids when ever they come along have a start with license and hunting supplies. May not work cause when folks in charge need $ it has a way of being borrowed ,by 2050 our sport wont be recognizable as being any thing like it is now.pull up a forecast of populations for the next 50 or 100 years ,we tend to spread out and not up at this time but at some point that will have to change but not before most of the public land has been moved to private ownership :(