The first Tennessean to fall...

Bambi Buster

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2004
Messages
24,165
Location
Middle Tennessee
On 23 March 2003, barely 4 days into the war, Corporal Patrick Nixon, 1st Battalion/2nd Marines, was killed in action in Iraq. He was the first of 97 Tennesseans to die there. They ranged from 18 to 54, private to lieutenant colonel. Please take a moment today to remember Corporal Nixon and the 96 other citizens of The Volunteer State who gave all in Operation Iraqi Freedom.

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/patrick-nixon.htm

A more detailed accounting of the Tennesseans, and the other 4000+ Americans who died in OIF, can be found at the linked website.
http://icasualties.org/Iraq/ByState.aspx
 

PickettSFHunter

Well-Known Member
Supporter
Joined
Jan 11, 2004
Messages
20,976
Location
Jamestown, TN
3 of them were in my unit, while I was still in high school and had not yet enlisted. One was 20 years old, had a wife and a new baby. Terrible.
 

hunter0925

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2013
Messages
2,943
Location
TN, Rhea,
Semper Fi Marines! There is one more to remember. While not a TN resident LCpl James M. Gluff was born in Ducktown Tn and died Jan 19th 2008 in Iraq. He was a North GA resident when he died. RIP brothers.
 

hunter0925

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2013
Messages
2,943
Location
TN, Rhea,
Bambi Buster said:
hunter0925 said:
Semper Fi Marines! There is one more to remember. While not a TN resident LCpl James M. Gluff was born in Ducktown Tn and died Jan 19th 2008 in Iraq. He was a North GA resident when he died. RIP brothers.

More on LCpl Gluff.

http://militarytimes.com/valor/soldier/3330448/

I appreciate that Bambi Buster. He was a good friend and Marine and deserves the honor and respect.
 

DirtyBear0311

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 1, 2012
Messages
1,989
Location
Milan, TN
smstone22, were you by chance in 1/2 as well? I ask because I was in charlie company. I believe that this guy was in the mortar team that got decimated in An Nasiriyah. Very proud of my unit and all the other men and women who fought and died.
 

Bambi Buster

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2004
Messages
24,165
Location
Middle Tennessee
DirtyBear0311 said:
smstone22, were you by chance in 1/2 as well? I ask because I was in charlie company. I believe that this guy was in the mortar team that got decimated in An Nasiriyah. Very proud of my unit and all the other men and women who fought and died.

DB0311: I believe sms22 is Tennessee Army National Guard.

According to the site at the link below, Cpl Nixon was indeed a 0341. He was among the 18 Marines who died that day at Nasiriyah.

http://marines.togetherweserved.com/usm ... t&ID=29161

Thank you for having been there for us. You have every right to be proud.
 

hunter0925

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2013
Messages
2,943
Location
TN, Rhea,
DirtyBear0311 said:
smstone22, were you by chance in 1/2 as well? I ask because I was in charlie company. I believe that this guy was in the mortar team that got decimated in An Nasiriyah. Very proud of my unit and all the other men and women who fought and died.

Every man should be proud of their unit and its' heritage. I was 0311 in 1/8 B. co.
You did not by any chance know a short pudgy guy by the name of Gibson did you?
 

DirtyBear0311

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 1, 2012
Messages
1,989
Location
Milan, TN
hunter0925 said:
DirtyBear0311 said:
smstone22, were you by chance in 1/2 as well? I ask because I was in charlie company. I believe that this guy was in the mortar team that got decimated in An Nasiriyah. Very proud of my unit and all the other men and women who fought and died.

Every man should be proud of their unit and its' heritage. I was 0311 in 1/8 B. co.
You did not by any chance know a short pudgy guy by the name of Gibson did you?


Name doesnt ring a bell. I got out two years ago.
 

AndyW

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 21, 2010
Messages
5,689
Location
Allardt, TN
The deaths are gut wrenching but the Brotherhood is beautiful.

My love, loyalty and respect to the fallen.

SEMPER FIDELIS!!!!
 

Unicam

Administrator
Joined
Dec 13, 2000
Messages
20,338
Location
Dallas, GA. & Cookeville, TN
Bambi Buster said:
hunter0925 said:
Semper Fi Marines! There is one more to remember. While not a TN resident LCpl James M. Gluff was born in Ducktown Tn and died Jan 19th 2008 in Iraq. He was a North GA resident when he died. RIP brothers.

More on LCpl Gluff.

http://militarytimes.com/valor/soldier/3330448/

I attended L/Cpl Gluff's Angel Flight, the line was several miles long.
 

Latest posts

Top