• Help Support TNDeer:

The error in my ways...binoculars

bwgarrett3

So after a little arguing in another thread and a good night's rest I've decided to look for some binoculars. Over a 25+ career in hunting I can only recall two times they would have made me a more safe hunter BUT there were those two times. Let's see if we can teach this "old dog" new tricks! So give me suggestions on some binoculars. Here's what I need...

1. Small ("still hunt" 95% of the time)
2. Lightweight (they will be worn around my neck)
3. Inexpensive (hardly ever do I spend money on my hunting...I do not want it to put a strain on my family)
4. A deer locator option built in (I've been having some trouble finding deer this year)

Thanks guys!

Jcalder

Supporter
Academy had a good deal on vortex diamondback hp 10x28. Normally $150 and they were giving $50 off. I had a 8x40 or 42 and don’t feel like I lost much going to a more compact model other than a lot of weight.

Primary

Primary

TNDeer Assistant
Here are some related products that TNDeer members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TNDeer’s partner,Primary, where you can find links to TNDeer discussions about these products.

DoubleRidge

There are several several affordable options out there....I even have one Basspro house brand red head set of binos that are not bad....many options. But for still hunting and stalking get you a set of binos buddy straps (or another brand) that hold the binos tight to your chest.....also some company's offer bino pouches that hold the binos tight to your chest...this way while walking they are not swinging....or when crawling on a stalk they are not dragging the ground.

But more importantly than the choice of binos I want to touch on another topic:

Most "men" would have walked away from the previous conversation and never even considered their position (or continued to argue) .....but you didn't....you evaluated your position and decided to change.

Furthermore you started a new thread and shared your decision with the group.

Hats off for your choice and your willingness to make adjustments along the way.....allot of "men" are stubborn and unwilling to consider changing.

Honestly the whole discussion is a great reminder for us all....and not just the use of binos vs scope.....but safety in general.

Thanks.

Tenntrapper

So after a little arguing in another thread and a good night's rest I've decided to look for some binoculars. Over a 25+ career in hunting I can only recall two times they would have made me a more safe hunter BUT there were those two times. Let's see if we can teach this "old dog" new tricks! So give me suggestions on some binoculars. Here's what I need...

1. Small ("still hunt" 95% of the time)
2. Lightweight (they will be worn around my neck)
3. Inexpensive (hardly ever do I spend money on my hunting...I do not want it to put a strain on my family)
4. A deer locator option built in (I've been having some trouble finding deer this year)

Thanks guys!
If you want them, I've got a pair of Steiner 10x25 (I think that's the power). They are very small, and compact. They aren't new, but are in excellent condition. I no longer use them. PM me your address, and they are yours.

Crappieaddict

There are several several affordable options out there....I even have one Basspro house brand red head set of binos that are not bad....many options. But for still hunting and stalking get you a set of binos buddy straps (or another brand) that hold the binos tight to your chest.....also some company's offer bino pouches that hold the binos tight to your chest...this way while walking they are not swinging....or when crawling on a stalk they are not dragging the ground.

But more importantly than the choice of binos I want to touch on another topic:

Most "men" would have walked away from the previous conversation and never even considered their position (or continued to argue) .....but you didn't....you evaluated your position and decided to change.

Furthermore you started a new thread and shared your decision with the group.

Hats off for your choice and your willingness to make adjustments along the way.....allot of "men" are stubborn and unwilling to consider changing.

Honestly the whole discussion is a great reminder for us all....and not just the use of binos vs scope.....but safety in general.

Thanks.
Very true!

bwgarrett3

If you want them, I've got a pair of Steiner 10x25 (I think that's the power). They are very small, and compact. They aren't new, but are in excellent condition. I no longer use them. PM me your address, and they are yours.
Are you serious?!?! Of course, I'd like to have them! I really appreciate you making that offer. It means alot! I'll send you my address.

Harold Money jr

My .02 worth. It doesn’t matter who makes it, just buy the most you’re willing to pay.
I have several pairs from work and my buying through the years for hunting. I wouldn’t go into the woods without a pair especially still hunting. I can’t tell you how many bedded and otherwise hidden deer I’ve seen that would have never been seen without binocs, Much less how many button bucks and small spikes binoculars have saved. My preference is an 8 power for still and standhunting and a 42mm lense. Ex. 8x42. You can use 10 power just fine but, with 8 power you usually get a Wider field of view. That’s a very important number to look at as well the size of the field of view, note that when comparing two models that are catching your eye. When I was younger I used 10x and even 12x to hunt with, then I had ordered another pair of 10x but, they came 8x. I was about to send em back and decided to try em, it was a much better fit in the woods and you still see all the details you need. Like I said my .02 worth and good luck!

bwgarrett3

My .02 worth. It doesn’t matter who makes it, just buy the most you’re willing to pay.
I have several pairs from work and my buying through the years for hunting. I wouldn’t go into the woods without a pair especially still hunting. I can’t tell you how many bedded and otherwise hidden deer I’ve seen that would have never been seen without binocs, Much less how many button bucks and small spikes binoculars have saved. My preference is an 8 power for still and standhunting and a 42mm lense. Ex. 8x42. You can use 10 power just fine but, with 8 power you usually get a Wider field of view. That’s a very important number to look at as well the size of the field of view, note that when comparing two models that are catching your eye. When I was younger I used 10x and even 12x to hunt with, then I had ordered another pair of 10x but, they came 8x. I was about to send em back and decided to try em, it was a much better fit in the woods and you still see all the details you need. Like I said my .02 worth and good luck!
Seems worth a bit more than .02 worth. That sounds like some good info! Thanks!

rem270

Supporter
Just my opinion but I like a 10x42 binocular. And you will eventually want a harness instead of wearing around your neck. The shoulder harness makes them so easy to just grab and scan a field or wood line. I have a set up Vanguard Endeavor HD's and really like them. FOV is 341 @1000. I got them on sale about 8 years ago so not sure what they run now but I would think around $350 or so. Which ever you decide on you will be glad you have a good pair.

Smo

Check out the Simmons brand.

I have a compact pair that are extremely clear and easy to carry and use.
Mine has an additional zoom feature that can be used after the target is in view.
But I mostly use that while target shooting, not so much in the woods.
These were <$70 a few years back.

Snowwolfe

The most important thing about which binoculars to buy are what type of terrain you are hunting. If your hunting the timber where a 75 yard shot or less is typical 6X wins, after that 8X is a great choice. 10X will work if you are glassing a lot of wide open areas. Don’t handicap yourself with to much magnification. The lower the magnification the easier it is to hold them steady.
Others may have a different opinion but this is mine after hunting for over 50 years.

bwgarrett3

The most important thing about which binoculars to buy are what type of terrain you are hunting. If your hunting the timber where a 75 yard shot or less is typical 6X wins, after that 8X is a great choice. 10X will work if you are glassing a lot of wide open areas. Don’t handicap yourself with to much magnification. The lower the magnification the easier it is to hold them steady.
Others may have a different opinion but this is mine after hunting for over 50 years.
That makes perfect sense as well. They will mainly be used only if I see movement and cannot distinguish what it is. I will not be "glassing" areas unless I believe something is there.

Bone Collector

Supporter
look at some of the lower end Leupold or Vortex binos. you will get good glass at an affordable price. depending on your eyes depends on the magnification you need. I would go with 8x or higher.

Get a harness type strap system. you put the binos on last but you put your arms through the straps and the binos just hang on you on your chest/stomach area. you have two free hands and when you need them, you know where they are.

REN

Imo binos are one of the most important parts of my gear for how I deer and Turkey hunt. Just me though

buy the best you can afford and they will last a lifetime. I like 8x for how and where I hunt personally. 10x is very hard to keep still free hand.
I also 2nd a decent harness. Makes all the difference

TNGunsmoke

I have a couple of pair of Basspro branded 8x and they work fine for how and where I hunt. More often than not though, I leave them in the truck and take my 6x range finder instead. Dual functionality and the same or less weight.