The end of an era? Ames Plantation

Antler Daddy

The TWRA has interest in buying the Ames land that's for sale. They can only pay appraised value unless there are special circumstances such as a large donor or if it's protection for waterfowl, etc. That would make for an interesting proposition if it was available to the public for hunting. I'm guessing it will be decided fairly quickly with the amount of interest there is early on.
This is exactly what should happen. It's a doggone shame the timber company lands in middle TN were not purchased. Once it is gone, it is gone.

Of course CWD hunting land is worth less in my opinion as well.

CATCHDAWG

That remaining 12,000 acres in Alabama or Mississippi would bring a minimum lease price of $300K a year. It doesn't take a genius to see that would be $3000 a year per member for 100 members. We're talking 50 members so that would be $6000 each per year. That doesn't count what you would be charged to plant food plots. Ames continues to be an extremely great value. I hope they cut membership to 30. I'd gladly pay more. The time I spend there is worth it.
I can't see paying 6k a year to hunt land that I don't own. But to each their own.

BigAl

The TWRA has interest in buying the Ames land that's for sale. They can only pay appraised value unless there are special circumstances such as a large donor or if it's protection for waterfowl, etc. That would make for an interesting proposition if it was available to the public for hunting. I'm guessing it will be decided fairly quickly with the amount of interest there is early

BigAl

The TWRA has interest in buying the Ames land that's for sale. They can only pay appraised value unless there are special circumstances such as a large donor or if it's protection for waterfowl, etc. That would make for an interesting proposition if it was available to the public for hunting. I'm guessing it will be decided fairly quickly with the amount of interest there is early on.
West TN could certainly use more quality public land.

tellico4x4

Deer and Elk hunting in MT hasn't decreased. This is the first year I haven't drawn a tag since I started hunting there about 6 years ago.
12.5% increase in Resident applicants and 30% increase in non-resident applications.

I can agree that the resident increase is due to meat hunters but I doubt many NR meat hunters are forking over $700 for a meat deer or $1k for a meat elk.
Things are indeed changing.
According to Eastmans: MT overall increase for deer & elk tags in 2020 was 10,000. 2021 demand is 38% more than that! In Colorado there are 35,000 more applicants this year than last.

Latest posts