The catfish boat project...

catman529

Well I've been planning for a while to do some upgrades to my old 14' tin boat to get it ready for catfishing on the river next summer.

I'll post updates and pics here as the project comes along, if anyone's interested in following.

A few weeks ago, I got these white LED strips on sale at Academy. For the interior of the boat.

aead17aed13856fef2fe6a6a1106b7fa.jpg

Today I just went to TSC and bought this 21" light bar, very important to me. The Cumberland river is bad about floating logs and debris and I've hit a few.

636e2b696221c5facb0d9c28cce40bc4.jpg

Other things on the list to do are...

-Replace transom and decking with marine grade plywood
-Rewire all electrical stuff
-Maybe build a livewell
-strip and repaint trailer...the worst part
-add a bilge pump finally
-install Monster rod holders
-buy a couple new catfish rods and reels

And a few other things along the way...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DRSJ35

sounds like a worthy project.I'm also in the process of doing something similar.I just traded for a 14' flat bottom jon boat.I had a small trailer i'm trying to make longer and set up for the bigger boat.I'm really doing it to hunt some land along the river.Of course im gonna fish also. I know it wont be done in time this year.But maybe by turkey season.I'm also gonna put led light's on it.when it warm's up by spring im gonna coat the bottom and up the sides a little.with some stuff called STEEL FLEX.It will make the boat water proof and strengthen the entire hull. Plus you dont have to worry so much about hitting logs and rocks.It also makes the bottom slick for loading and unloading.Plus im gonna paint and do a few other things.The coating is called STEEL FLEX super slick 9000.You should check it out if you have an aluminum boat.and good luck with the project.

ImThere

Guess what I just got at work?

A spool Gun I can easily weld aluminum or stainless now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ImThere

catman529":2kiqfzxm said:
ImThere":2kiqfzxm said:
Guess what I just got at work?

A spool Gun I can easily weld aluminum or stainless now.

So when can I come and try it out
What ever weekend you want.

Sako

always fun to be able to upgrade things the way you want them... we need more pictures... make sure to take some of the before and after... let us enjoy the ride with you

Smo

CM,
That sounds like a great project I've done a couple over the years myself.

I love jug fishing for Cat. Which requires a little more room.

I like a 16' boat for cat fishing , the extra two foot gives more room from tackle and such.

I've owned a couple of 18' as well . Only problem with them was it takes half the river to turn one around , unless it's a tiller handle.

I've installed vertical rod holders in my boat that helps clear up floor space.

I once used a rubber maid tool box the size of a truck tool box for a live well.

I installed a drain in the bottom of the box and I had a bilge pump that I could pump water into the box with as well as circulate water in the box thru a pvc pipe mounted just under the lid.

When not used as a live well it stored my diving compressor and life vest and such.

When it was time to drain I'd just pull the plug and let the water run out into the bottom of the boat.

Pull the boat drain plug and hose out the inside of the box as well as the inside of the boat.

Keep us posted on the progress.

Latest posts