The Buck Stops Where?

Andy S.

Since we are discussing whitetail buck movements, figured I'd share this research too. Just read it and found it fitting. I think this Missouri buck takes the cake.

JCDEERMAN

Not a good thing when you think about containing or slowing the spread of CWD.
True, but on one hand, I would say this is a completely rare event. The "science of random sampling" is EXTREMELY accurate and this situation is definitely a rare occurrence.

On the other hand, I would like to know the number of deer collared vs the wild population that is not collared. This would obviously be a VERY small percentage….BUT if we were to know the ACTUAL number of deer that made these ventures, I think we'd all be surprised (a higher number than we all would anticipate).

Last edited:

Shed Hunter

True, but on one hand, I would say this is a completely rare event. The "science of random sampling" is EXTREMELY accurate and this situation is definitely a rare occurrence.

On the other hand, I would like to know the number of deer collared vs the wild population that is not collared. This would obviously be a VERY small percentage….BUT if we were to know the ACTUAL number of deer that made these ventures, I think we'd all be surprised (a higher number than we all would anticipate).
I think both of you have pretty valid points. I'd imagine smaller migrations over a period of time are a large contributing factor and possibly even these random excursions some deer choose to make

Buzzard Breath

Here's the map with the deer's travel overlayed.

300kdeerdispersal.jpg

Latest posts