The 7 Day Rule

Jaahspike

Interesting article I read about a 7 day rule for mature bucks. Has anyone read this yet? I think it was in North American Whitetail? Basically if all things stay somewhat the same over a year's time, a buck will follow a certain routine and be at the same spot and sometimes even down to the minute from year to year. It got me thinking, does anyone have pictures of certain bucks at the same spot a year later on the same day and at the same time(or very close)? If so, how many years do you have these pictures? If anyone does, please post. I would love to see some real life examples.

Keep in mind that these were of bucks that were on trail camera pictures during hunting season and were killed. Not just on a summer pattern.

I wonder just how routine they become.

Shed Hunter

It's certainly no guaranteed thing, but I would definitely be hunting a buck if I had pics of him the year before in a certain spot.

On Nov. 20th I shot a 4.5 year old 400 yards from where I got a daylight picture last year on Nov. 19 and maybe 30 yards from where I got a night picture on Nov 22

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

duckriver

The 4 year old I killed last Friday was in the same path that I passed him on last year. I would have never thought it. But its no doubt the same deer

Rackseeker

095-1.jpg

108_zps94ff0197.jpg

I have pics of this buck four years, 3 years have been within a few feet of each other during the same week. I thinks he is 6.5 this year. I have pic of him before archery season this year.

Bone Collector

I have pictures of larger bucks in the same area every year around 8/15 and that will be the last pic i get of them. However, I have only been running cameras 2 years and in the first year I only ran them before and after season, so this is the first year I have run them all season.

This year the larger buck i was getting pics of again disappeared on 8/15, but I did get a pic of him on 10/19 in the same area.

lpo1981

I have pictures of buck that I had on camera 3 years in a row but always at night.. Never had a daylight picture I him or saw him during that week.. He would seemingly disappear for a month ten show back up during mid January after season closed during the daylight.. So I would say that statement is somewhat accurate...

hunt4646

The previous 2 years, The same bucks were using same trail on hillside at 7:30 every morning. This year I have not seen any bucks on the hillside in the mornings. Trail cameras at other locations show bucks still in area but not using the hillside trail. I do not have answer as to why they stopped traveling the well used trail of past years.

weatherby man

Don't buy that at all. My deer are usually on a 3 day pattern. That goes out the window during first rut. There are always exceptions to the rule and circumstances that change this. Terminal lead poisoning is one of these. This is the second best time of the season for me. The poachers usually have gone duck hunting( go figure) and the deer seem to have settled down a bit. The Big Boys are cruising and you can and will see them any time of day. This is just my idea. Have not read that article and would like to. Might change my mind on some things.

Mr.Bro

Sounds like a writer has run out of stuff to write about.
Kind of like the one that tells you how to hunt in standing corn fields.
Remember most writers just make up some of this crap.

woodsman87

Bucks I get on camera do what they want, when they want. Usually at night, no matter time of year.

Only patterns I get is they definitely move more at night during deer season.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Tapatalk

Latest posts