That guy driving 9WF635

Tenntrapper

I will say...I'm not usually the one holding anyone up. I'm also not the one riding anyone's arse. If a faster vehicle catches me, I'll get over, but....
Generally speaking, using Knoxville as an example. If I'm going through...I'll stay to the left. To many people merging on and off the interstate in the right lanes. Most of which aren't watching where they are going, or have the brains to understand who has the right of way. Like I said...I'll move over if needed, but in town...I'll be towards the left.

Lost Lake

If left lane laws and speeding laws were actually enforced, it'd be safer all around. Gotta love the 24 Hours of Le Mans drivers weaving in and out of traffic at 20mph + over the limit and endangering everyone on the Interstates.

They're some kind of special.

BSK

I was thinking about this very thing the other day. I'm not sure that most drivers think there is a lane designated for slower traffic anymore. With 4-5 lanes stretches for miles outside of cities most drivers just pick a lane and stay in it. They know there is a designated HOV lane for carpools but I'm not sure that they pay attention to the Slower Traffic stay in the right lane signs anymore. This might also be the reason you see extremely fast drivers dangerously weaving in and out of lanes because we have become accustomed to all the flexibility. Sometimes I find myself moving to a left lane because a tailgater is on my hind end while I'm in the slow lane.
Anyone who has driven in Atlanta traffic knows about this! Six lanes both ways and no rhyme or reason about which lane is going faster than the other.

7mmWSM

There used to be signs that said "slower traffic keep right". I haven't seen one in awhile though.

DayDay

2-Step Enabled
I will say...I'm not usually the one holding anyone up. I'm also not the one riding anyone's arse. If a faster vehicle catches me, I'll get over, but....
Generally speaking, using Knoxville as an example. If I'm going through...I'll stay to the left. To many people merging on and off the interstate in the right lanes. Most of which aren't watching where they are going, or have the brains to understand who has the right of way. Like I said...I'll move over if needed, but in town...I'll be towards the left.

1. On interstate and multilane divided highways that are two (2) or more lanes in each direction, a person shall not operate a vehicle in the passing lane, except when overtaking or passing a vehicle that is in a nonpassing lane.
  2. This section shall not apply:
    1. When the volume of traffic does not permit the vehicle to safely merge into a nonpassing lane;
    2. When inclement weather or an official traffic control device makes it necessary to drive in the passing lane;
    3. When obstructions or hazards exist in a nonpassing lane;
    4. When avoiding traffic moving onto the highway from an acceleration or merging lane;
    5. When highway design makes it necessary to drive in the passing lane to exit or turn left;
    6. To authorized emergency vehicles engaged in official duties; or
    7. To vehicles engaged in highway maintenance and construction operations.

Moonman

If your going up 75 towards knoxvillle from Chattanooga around lenoir city you have to pick a lane and stick to it because the holes are so bad you may have a blow out changing.

Tenntrapper

I don't know why you are quoting statutes to me. I thought I was clear that the right lanes are full of "slower" traffic...either merging onto or off of the interstate. The only time I ever hold anyone up is if someone is holding me up. If I'm in the front and someone comes up behind me, I'll move over...I'm not a camper. But...I will not slow down and get in another lane just so you can be behind the camper I was behind...if that makes sense.
And further more...for 21 years I drove a commercial truck, logging more miles a month than the average person logs in 2 years. Pull my driving record, pull my DAC report, pull any accident reports...you will see that they are all spotless.....zero...nadda.
Oh, and my truck wasn't governed...if I wanted to pass someone...I did. And it didn't take 20 miles to do it... 😂

DayDay

2-Step Enabled
I don't know why you are quoting statutes to me. I thought I was clear that the right lanes are full of "slower" traffic...either merging onto or off of the interstate. The only time I ever hold anyone up is if someone is holding me up. If I'm in the front and someone comes up behind me, I'll move over...I'm not a camper. But...I will not slow down and get in another lane just so you can be behind the camper I was behind...if that makes sense.
And further more...for 21 years I drove a commercial truck, logging more miles a month than the average person logs in 2 years. Pull my driving record, pull my DAC report, pull any accident reports...you will see that they are all spotless.....zero...nadda.
Oh, and my truck wasn't governed...if I wanted to pass someone...I did. And it didn't take 20 miles to do it... 😂
If you are referring to me, I posted them to show that there is nothing wrong with what you mentioned that you do when driving in metro traffic like in Knoxville.

Not only is it common sense, but the law tries to address some exceptions that can especially occur where there are a string of entrances and exits and where there is heavy traffic.

Last edited: