Thanksgiving Tradition or Changing Times?

CBU93

On the way home yesterday driving through all CWD zone counties, I saw something I've not seen since I was a youngster. Most hunters I saw out and about or trucks all parked off the road had dog boxes…mostly newer looking, aluminum, diamond plated…

Think this is Thanksgiving tradition or an indication of a shift in hunter focus due to CWD?

Remington700

I have noticed that I am not hearing near the number of shots from deer hunters I use to. Opening day use to sound like a war zone. Also, my processor says it is steady but not just slammed with deer. I remember opening day being crazy with them stacking deer as fast as they could.

Trapper John

I can't speak from experience but the CWD zone is inching closer and closer to where the property I hunt is. I can tell you my personal plan is probably try to keep deer hunting as long as it's still enjoyable. Thing is, I'll eat one to three deer a year. If rifle season opens early, I'll be done in a week or two and will absolutely shift to squirrel, rabbit, and duck after that.

Crappieaddict

Yes… most likely squirrels or rabbits. These have tended to be pursuits post deer season for the most part locally the last 40 years or so.
Thanks for clarifying, as that is what I thought you were saying. I know hunting deer with dogs is illegal, but I didn't know if CWD counties might have an exception.

ditchpickle

I have noticed that I am not hearing near the number of shots from deer hunters I use to. Opening day use to sound like a war zone. Also, my processor says it is steady but not just slammed with deer. I remember opening day being crazy with them stacking deer as fast as they could.
I totally agree!!! I have witnessed this as well this year.

mstone

05A74BC4-69A2-4E36-B381-57B993326AF0.gif
The Midwest has been dealing with CWD for years and produces some of the biggest bucks in the country year after year. It's only new here in TN. It's not the end of the world! People really need to calm down. TWRA is making it out like it's the end all be all to deer hunting in TN.....Its nature it happens. It's not the first time. Its not the last time.

DRSJ35

That is certainly true they've been dealing with it for years and produce monster bucks. But look at those states hunting regs and you tell me if they resemble our regs. Some don't have gun seasons and it's now only. Others it's a short shotgun only for regular gun. Some don't allow for more than 1 buck and not nearly as many doe's as TN. Of course some are restricted like that county by county. No it's not the end of deer hunting. What TWRA does now will affect all deer hunting and cwd in general for years to come. No I don't hunt out west nor do I have any answers on cwd. It was an article I read last year somewhere that I'm referring to.

Latest posts