Thank you TNDeer for helping me sleep last night

scn

OK, I finally made it to my "range" yesterday afternoon. Shot at 25 yds to get it on the paper and made adjustments. Figured I was at least on the 3x3 target board, so went out to 100 yds. Shot, and didn't hit the BOARD.

Moved into 50 yds and hit high on the board. Shot again and still way high, so adjusted again. Shoot, and scare the crap out of myself. As soon as I look through the scope after the recoil, I see a big doe standing broadside between me and the target. Surely I didn't just illegally shoot a deer while concentrating on the target? She walks off, no blood in the area, and I walk up to check and find a shot way low and left.

So, I am going through the checklist of possibilities. Base and rings were loctited in to spec with a Wheeler torque driver, so it shouldn't be that. New Leupold scope, so unless I got a real lemon (but it is 2020) it shouldn't be a tracking issue.

Move back to 100 yds, and play the chase my tail deal for a while as shots bounce around like popcorn (thanks DA-wish you had posted a day earlier!). I'm getting more and more pissed as the debacle goes on. Notice my sabots are the worst looking I've ever seen after firing. Think about pressure, but am using a pretty common load.

Finally, after "several" shots and no major breakthrough, I decide to stop "wasting" the expensive Barnes 195 bullets. I load in a cheap 200gr Hornady XTP. First shot is fine L-R, but low. Adjust, and I'm a little high. Adjust again, and it is center bull.

I am feeling better. I decide to shoot a 3 round group of the Barnes to make a final adjustment. Knuckle down so I am confident in the shot, and can't see a hole in the target. Walk up there, and not only didn't I hit the target, I can't find a hole on the whole freaking target BOARD.

Really POd at this point. I had hoped to bow hunt after getting dialed in, and that time was well past. Decide to shoot another XTP to see if it is bullet, scope, ME, etc. Still thinking about the previous shot, I grab a vial of powder out of my storage (20 ga) box and load up. Don't notice any powder leaving the vial, but figured I was seeing things. Seat the bullet, primer up, and touch it off. No powder equals no boom. Better that mistake than another. With no way to take out the breech plug, I pack things up. Thought about throwing the rifle as far as I could, but thought better.

On the 2 hr drive home, I am not a happy camper. As soon as I finish a late dinner, I head to the computer and google shredded sabot. It took me to a couple of articles dealing with pressure. About fourth on the list was a TNDeer article from 2017 talking about a similar goat roping. One of our experts had diagnosed the problem of it being a bad batch of Barnes bullets and another link to Doug's board talking about the same issue. Pulled the breech plug and knocked out my no powder mistake.

So, if the rain will break a little tomorrow, I will go back for round 2. I'm not really comfortable with the XTP for hunting. Fortunately, after waiting a couple of months for the backorder, I got in some 200 gr. SST bullets from Midway today. Hopefully I can get a decent group with them.

So, thank you TNDeer for giving me what I think was the answer to yesterday's debacle. It didn't cost me sleep like it would have if I hadn't seen a discussion about it happening before. Maybe round 2 will be a little easier.

Last edited:

BlackEagle1

I shot SST for years without any real complaints. They always passed through and I always got my deer. That being said, the blood trails were never anything to brag on. I'm on Barnes now..... whole different category of performance on game.

Jcalder

Absolutely nothing wrong with shooting the XTP. I would agree and rather have the Barnes but if they won't shoot stay with something that will. Also, have you thought about shooting sabotless.

Deer Assassin

steve

a few thoughts

the 200 sst has a better bc that the barnes. Killed plenty with either. the xtp will kill great but it is an aerodynamic brick

is it a pain to load ? it needs to be

you might want to knurl you bullets especially the 195 barnes

i push the sst over 2700 it will work great to 292 yds ... farthest i have killed

What powder are you using?

scn

DA, I was using 60 gr of H4198 with a Harvester light blue sabot.
It didn't go down "easy", but wasn't as tough as loading the 300 gr BO in my SMLIII.
Knurling in past my abilities. I don't have any of that equipment.
Sometime in the coming days, I'll see if the SSTs will group. If so, that will be what I hunt with this year.

It was a great learning experience for me. I understood the concept of a bullet/powder not grouping enough to really be accurate. I just never realized that it could be the popcorn deal and miss the target board at 100 yds.

Deer Assassin

steve

all you need is 2 files bought at lowes for 7 bucks a piece stick bullet between them and rub putting pressure from top harder your press the more you knurl

very easy to do
I guarantee the Barnes will shoot better

ADR

I'm sure you have very good reason but why continue with sabots? I'm not trying to waste your time with a reply and I'm sure you've done your research but just curious.