• Help Support TNDeer:

Tennessee Fish and Wildlife Commission discriminate against rifle hunters

Laserman1

Young men raising families don’t have to pay the high fees! They chose to hunt. If they want to hunt , play golf, or any other activity, they need to be able to budget for it. If you love to hunt but can’t afford the licenses, get a second job like everyone else who wants to buy things not in their budget.

WTM

Go online and check resident licenses in other states. We have it good. TWRA is totally self-funding. They don't receive one penny from the state budget. This keeps the politicians out of it. Look at other states that have politicians involved. It's a nightmare. The drive new green trucks because they wear them out. First job was in sales in NC and SC. Put 76K miles on a Ford Galaxie 500 in 12 months. Everyone in the sales company got a new car every year.
Tennessee has a constitutional amendent against an income tax. We take up the slack with higher sales taxes.
yeah and our sales tax isnt much more than, say Ohio’s total tax. some cities its 8%. then you get the privelege of not only paying state income tax but also city and county income tax.

seems like everything is a little higher in those income tax states. they spend like nobodies business. funny but when my son lived in ohio, sc and ga he said people would go around campaigning for higher taxes.

Safari Hunt

I worked in LA and I recall one parish was 10% sales tax. BTW, I left in 1988. Wonder what it is now.
At one time, you didn't need a fishing license to fish anywhere in Louisiana. You could own a new truck and new boat but not have to buy a license. They finally went to a $6 fishing license. Heard a lady griping about the six bucks. Asked here where you could get an unlimited supply of fresh fish for six bucks. Total silence.
Add up all your fishing and hunting license fees. Then check and see what greens fees are for a public or semi-private golf club, with and without a cart. Many people play a round of golf at least once a week.

cathunter

Something I don’t understand is the life time license for what $300.00 for children. Yes I took advantage of it and bought my son his and will do the same for grandson. But seems to be a loss of revenue to me.

scn

Supporter
Something I don’t understand is the life time license for what $300.00 for children. Yes I took advantage of it and bought my son his and will do the same for grandson. But seems to be a loss of revenue to me.
The jury is still out on whether it was a good idea for TWRA or not. It worked well for NC starting 15-20 years earlier when our agency decided against it.

Part of the reasoning behind it for the kids is it is difficult to predict which ones will use it or not. For example, I bought one for my son. I doubt he ever uses it. So the agency has the original amount in the escrow fund, and gets interest from it every year as opposed to getting nothing from him.

It may or may not turn out to be a good idea for TWRA.

Laserman1

I just get tired of everyone wanting everything for free. If you can’t afford to hunt, get a second or third job, or find another HOBBY. Hunting is not a way to put free food on the table. Either pay for the license and hunt or find a hobby you can afford

catman529

You didn’t bow hunt due to warm weather. That’s not on the commission, that’s on you. Tennessee has a very generous season and bag limits. The type 94 is not that expensive, and if you kill a few deer it’s well worth it in the meat you get in return. If you can’t get out and hunt for some reason, but want some deer meat, I’d be glad to give you a deer if you’ll meet half way. If not, I hope you have a great rest of the season.

PickettSFHunter

There’s a lot the TWRA could do for more revenue and more quality experiences for the states hunters. We aren’t all in the Nashville basin. There are several advantages to your game agency not being semi independent. In other states, Wildlife Resources have to work with other departments because they are part of the same agency. That cooperation results in increased opportunity on more public lands. See any of the numerous states that offer Natural Area and State Park hunts for examples. The TWRA just won’t work with other TN agencies to make these opportunities happen on a grand scale for whatever reason and that is stupid. You sell more licenses when you offer more opportunity. The TWRA would prefer to stack people in a romp stomp WMA that offers a whopping 2% success rate than have quality hunts.
I can think of 4000 acres just in my county that could easily safely be opened for public hunting access just with cooperation between TDEC and TWRA but the TWRA will not get the conversation started on behalf of TN hunters.
I am right now sitting next to 7000 acres of WMA that is Being destroyed by side by sides to the point that hunters can no longer access the 7000 acres. The TWRA is doing no enforcement on this WMA and the Area Manager can’t even tell you where the property is. People are coming from every state around to ride the WMA and are paying zero dollars to destroy the roads. It’s frustrating, a normal ATV can’t Even access now. The TWRA has the option to purchase an adjoining 11,000 acres to this WMA for extremely cheap on a cost share with a conservation organization but I’m honestly not sure I want them to! TWRA acquisition means property destruction unfortunately in this area.

CrossVolle

So if you buy the Sportman’s License, is it still a requirement to buy the type 94?
Honestly, i don't know. I have never felt the need to buy one. I try to leave the does be at that point for the betterment of the herd. If i need some does removed i try to take care of that before the breeding season.

DRSJ35

In it a sportsman license every year. So it covers everything. TWRA does not get money from the state. So they have to make there money somehow. Shooting a doe with a bow Or muzzleloader is different then a rifle full of bullets. I buy a sportsman like I said so I don’t buy an 094. So I can’t say much more.

rukiddin

Waiting anxiously for the "but they drive brand new green trucks" argument that comes up in any license price discussion.

WRONG!!!! They use that money to buy the helicopters so they can drop the rattlesnakes......... what money is leftover after the helicopter, goes towards the trucks that release the coyotes..........

hahahahahahaha

Primary

TNDeer Assistant
Here are some related products that TNDeer members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TNDeer’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TNDeer discussions about these products.

Latest posts