tennessee boiled custard

WTM

Supporter
E1C8DE8F-A3A1-4B0F-B8FE-7A09E18000D0.jpeg
thought id share for the holidays. my wife grandmother's recipe. she made it this way for ages. creamy and thick without all the egginess of other recipes with yokes only. pay attention to the last paragraph for tempering the eggs.

Safari Hunt

You have done flung a cravin' on me. Wife has several recipes in her mother's handwriting. Will pass it along to my wife, daughter and daughter-in-law. Thanks for sharing a great recipe and the sentimental value on it.

WTM

Supporter
F773EF84-4315-4A8D-A2CD-7BEA32728C5C.jpeg
creamy goodness

couple of tips for custard. wisk 1/4 cup sugar into the eggs and wisk until kind of frothy. wisk the rest of the sugar and corn starch together in the pan and then wisk kn the milk. once the milk starts to steam a little drizzle about a cup jnto the eggs wisking like hades. then slowly combine the eggs into the milk while wisking. you should start out on medium heat then gradually to medium high. after the marshmallows melt it should only takr about 10 minutes or 165-175 with a candy thermometer.

take it off a let cool on a wire rack or you can place the pan in a cool water bath to cool it. use the milk jug as a container.

this will keep the egg proteins seperated and not recombine until the custard forms. if they do and it curdles, just strain the custard through a mesh sieve.

you could take it up to about 190 if you want it thick. my wife likes it thick enough to drink or eat with a spoon

brassmagnet

That looks good..too late now for Thanksgiving...maybe Christmas!
So, what's wrong with making a sample batch or three between? Maybe it's just where I'm retired, but I don't get how people have such a limited time frame to enjoy good foods, or maybe it's facebook or pintrist, get over it and eat out of season, it's delicious, throw it at 'em with 4th of July BarBQ, see how fast it goes!

Trophy of the moment

• Trophy by Mike Foley
    Mike of Kingston shot this nice buck on Ft. Campbell as he was slipping...
    • Mike Foley
    • Updated: