Sold/Expired Tennessee 2013 Black Bear Guided Hunt

CATCHDAWG

varminthunter123 said:
I would also think that if your trying to call the in you would probably want to be in a tree stand and not hunting on the ground???
I was on the ground. I just stood up and shood them away without any problems. The counties you mentioned have a higher density as well as the pressure that goes with it.

Diehard Hunter

The problem with sevier county is the lack of public land. The vast majority is private or national park.

varminthunter123

I was just thinking that if you trying to call one in and shoot with a bow, being up in a tree might make it easier to draw that if you were on the ground.

I figured that if the were to see you, they would be out of their in a flash.

blountcountyboy

Blount CountyTN ya know over next to Cades Cove
I have saw dozens of bears while stalking but usually the season isn't open. Find white oaks and you will find bears. I understand that everyone has there preference as to how they like to hunt and I respect that however hound hunting isn't a "chip shot". I have pretty good dogs and it still took me over 20 straight days and 200 miles of boot leather to get a legal bear in a tree.

1shot1kill

Varmint hunter if you want to kill a bear with your bow, look at public land in Unicoi County. Although alot of land is bear reserve there is still ample oppurtunity on public land here. Killed my first in 2010 a 200lb sow, with my bow on private land, but I hunt public also and see them about every time I go in the early fall. Seems like the sightings decrease once the hound hunts open up. Good luck

timberjack86

I am planning a trip to Tellico this fall myself. I got within 75 yards of a sow and cub the last time I was there in 2010. I always still hunt roads that are closed to traffic during the dog hunts. I don't see many hound and hopefully the bears know that too. If I had more time to hunt I think I could have tagged one already. This fall it looks like I am gonna get 3 days in.

tellico4x4

varminthunter123 said:
What about a Fawn Distress?

Don't know if southern bears will respond very well to a fawn distress call or not, but the ones on Prince of Wales Island in AK will come a running to it. The blacktails are dropping fawns around the first of June and they are a favorite meal for the bears. When I say dropping, I mean they are everywhere you look. We saw several does giving birth on the side of the road. Took my grandson up a few years ago for a DIY hunt and had a ball.

P5310016 by Bullet Hunting Club, on Flickr

P5310021 by Bullet Hunting Club, on Flickr

P5310018 by Bullet Hunting Club, on Flickr

7'-2" Black Bear

P6050104 by Bullet Hunting Club, on Flickr

7mminatree

Pretty much all of North Cherokee is good bear habitat. Unicoi is loaded with them. But so is Washington, Greene, Carter, Cocke, Johnson and Sullivan counties. If you can find an area next to one of the bear reserves, you can increase your odds. My advise is to spend a little time scouting, looking for scat, another good sign is in the fall they really seek out yellow jacket and hornet nests in the ground. You can see where they dig holes in the ground and when you start seeing several around an area your in a good spot. Even better if you got good deer and turkey sign. Because it's all open during archery. With the exception of Unicoi not having turkey open.

7mminatree

If you to hunt the biggest bears in the country, check out coastal North Carolina. Where talking in the 700 to 800 lbs. range. They a huge down in the low country swamps.

Latest posts