Tenn. Legislature Proposes Pit Bull Insurance

birddog

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2002
Messages
6,886
Location
Seymour, TN
that is the dumbest law. what if my neighbors german sheppered bites me or the lab mix down the block attacks my child? does that not count?
 

birddog

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2002
Messages
6,886
Location
Seymour, TN
Poser said:
birddog said:
that is the dumbest law. what if my neighbors german sheppered bites me or the lab mix down the block attacks my child? does that not count?

The proposed bill would put any dog classified as "aggressive" in the same category, pit bulls would be categorized such as default.

still dont like the law. not much different from what other states have proposed to have gun owners have ins.
 

chunkandwind

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 20, 2008
Messages
3,485
Location
Wishingiwasfishing
birddog said:
Poser said:
birddog said:
that is the dumbest law. what if my neighbors german sheppered bites me or the lab mix down the block attacks my child? does that not count?

The proposed bill would put any dog classified as "aggressive" in the same category, pit bulls would be categorized such as default.

still dont like the law. not much different from what other states have proposed to have gun owners have ins.

Yep.
 

leader

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 10, 2006
Messages
15,330
Location
Knox
"Echlin says this kind of bill won't stop bad dog owners, instead it punishes the good. "

Interesting this is the same argument against stricter gun legislation and I agree....
 

BamaProud

Well-Known Member
Supporter
Joined
Apr 3, 2011
Messages
19,199
Location
Shelby County, TN
leader said:
"Echlin says this kind of bill won't stop bad dog owners, instead it punishes the good. "

Interesting this is the same argument against stricter gun legislation and I agree....

Not exactly a good/fair/accurate comparison. A gun is never going to harm anyone without human interaction. You cannot say that with 100 percent certainty when it comes to animals.

I don't like laws telling us what we can and can't own, and generally wouldn't support any such legislation, but there is a significant difference between owning a gun and a dog.
 

BamaProud

Well-Known Member
Supporter
Joined
Apr 3, 2011
Messages
19,199
Location
Shelby County, TN
We cannot own Lions, Tigers, venomous snakes, Triceratops, Bears or Wolves without proper permits, secure facilities, documentation etc...the reason is mainly because they are potentially dangerous and pose a significant threat to their owners and their neighbors if there is an escape. Dangerous dogs my not pose the same threat level as an escaped triceratops but it still poses a significant threat.

Statistics show that more than half (56% from 1998 through 2012)of the fatalities every year involving a dog are attributed to pit bull or pit bull mixes. Rottweilers (or Rott mixes) account for about 11% of deaths. So 2 breeds (and their mixes) account for more than 2/3 of all fatalities.

These stats are for deaths, deaths require pretty extensive investigation by people who know what they are doing, so I don't think there is a media bias against Pits, or a case of mistaken identity in play here. True all dogs can be dangerous, but some are by their physical makeup more dangerous than others.

Dog bite statistics
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fa ... ted_States
http://dogbitelaw.com/images/pdf/Dog_At ... lifton.pdf
http://www.cdc.gov/homeandrecreationals ... eeds-a.pdf
 

Wildcat

Well-Known Member
Supporter
Joined
Jun 10, 2000
Messages
66,676
Location
Western Ky.
BamaProud said:
We cannot own Lions, Tigers, venomous snakes, Triceratops, Bears or Wolves without proper permits, secure facilities, documentation etc...the reason is mainly because they are potentially dangerous and pose a significant threat to their owners and their neighbors if there is an escape. Dangerous dogs my not pose the same threat level as an escaped triceratops but it still poses a significant threat.

Statistics show that more than half (56% from 1998 through 2012)of the fatalities every year involving a dog are attributed to pit bull or pit bull mixes. Rottweilers (or Rott mixes) account for about 11% of deaths. So 2 breeds (and their mixes) account for more than 2/3 of all fatalities.

These stats are for deaths, deaths require pretty extensive investigation by people who know what they are doing, so I don't think there is a media bias against Pits, or a case of mistaken identity in play here. True all dogs can be dangerous, but some are by their physical makeup more dangerous than others.

Dog bite statistics
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fa ... ted_States
http://dogbitelaw.com/images/pdf/Dog_At ... lifton.pdf
http://www.cdc.gov/homeandrecreationals ... eeds-a.pdf

It's not how dangerous they are, it's how much danange they can do to a human.
 

fishboy1

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 13, 2003
Messages
12,035
Location
Warren Co
Here is the solution.

1. YOU are responsible for YOUR dog and any Damage it does.
2. Killing/beating/maiming a dog in self defense is a PROTECTED act. You cannot be sued or prosecuted for any "mistreatment" of animals if you are defending yourself.
3. Pet owners are now 100% liable for their pets. They are also liable for any action taken by a third party as a result of THEIR pet. Ex. somebodies dog/ferret/alligator comes after me and I shoot it. Bullet exits, and hits a house/car/person.... PET OWNER Is liable not me.

That would put an end to the massive amount of stupidity going on with regards to "dangerous" animals of all breeds. Yes there will ALWAYS be stupid and reckless people, but this would put the responsibility back where it belongs.

Our society has pushed the responsibility and liability for our stupid and negligent actions off onto others. Trial lawyers have feasted like buzzards on the death of personal responsibility and common sense.
 

44fanatic

Well-Known Member
R.I.P.
Joined
Jan 1, 2008
Messages
6,087
Location
Clarksville, Montgomery Cnty
Hmmm....another law that goes unenforced until the dog attacks someone, and then it is just a fine on the owner. It will not stop the majority of the backyard breeders and thugs from owning dog that is a reflection of their thuggery. As for responsible owner, its another financial burden on them.
 

rukiddin

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2009
Messages
2,789
Location
E. Tenn
BamaProud said:
so I don't think there is a media bias against Pits, or a case of mistaken identity in play here.
Dog bite statistics
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fa ... ted_States
http://dogbitelaw.com/images/pdf/Dog_At ... lifton.pdf
http://www.cdc.gov/homeandrecreationals ... eeds-a.pdf

As an ex animal control officer, I can ASSURE you that the media IS biased against pit bulls. I can give many examples of dogs that were involved with serious life threatening attacks, that were not pit bulls, but the media reported them as pit bulls. We never told people any different, because during those times of investigation, the welfare of the person involved was more important than correcting the ignorant media. Those that needed to know per relevance to investigation, always knew the facts. Cane corso's (italian mastiffs) lead to death of child, yellow lab(facial reconstruction required on a 4 year old), and a foxhound (compound fracture on 10year old's arm and multiple bites over entire body) were responsible for some of the worse maulings I've ever saw. The yellow lab and the corso's were reported as "pit bulls" by the media.
Also, anyone can add info to Wikipedia, therefore, not a reputable or respected source.
 

MUP

Well-Known Member
Supporter
Joined
Aug 1, 2007
Messages
86,656
Location
Just North of Chatt-town
birddog said:
Poser said:
birddog said:
that is the dumbest law. what if my neighbors german sheppered bites me or the lab mix down the block attacks my child? does that not count?

The proposed bill would put any dog classified as "aggressive" in the same category, pit bulls would be categorized such as default.

still dont like the law. not much different from what other states have proposed to have gun owners have ins.

This.
 

TAFKAP

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 6, 2009
Messages
14,950
Location
Memphis
Poser said:
http://www.abc24.com/news/local/story/Tenn-Legislature-Proposes-Pit-Bull-Insurance/29LGv_69GUyt4WhW9Ey1vg.cspx?rss=59

"Under the proposed legislation, one insurance company gave abc24.com a quote of nearly $600 more per month per animal."

Breed-specific legislation is misguided and stupid.

15 years ago, it was Rotts & Dobermans. Upper-class suburban dogs will be the next ghetto "danger" dog in 15 years. How far out are we from Labs being dangerous?
 
Top