Tell me something...

monsterbuck07

What does braided line help?

What do certain pole lengths matter?

What is the best tip you have ever learned fishing wise?

Kimberman

Personally, I don't like braided line. It has no stretch, so it takes some serious getting used to when setting the hook. The upside is that it is more sensitive than flouro or mono. It also is harder on rods and reels than mono or flouro, and quite honestly I cant stand the way it sounds when fighting a fish. I use flouro on most of my rods, I only use mono for baits that I am constantly moving, like crankbaits, spinnerbaits, jerk baits, topwater, etc. Jigs and soft plastics(which I throw 75% of the time) are thrown on flouro. It sinks, which is nice considering the baits I fish with it do too. Also flouro has less stretch than mono, but more than braid. Another plus is that most flouro is thinner than same test mono. I fish 10 pound Seagar InvisX on all of my spinning rods. It is the same diameter as most 6 lb monos. As far as rods go, I like a longer rod. It picks up more line on hooksets, which is very helpful when fishing deep water or if you have to make a long hookset. It also helps with longer casts. In my younger days a 6'6" rod was long to me, now my shortest rod I fish is 6'6", most are 6'8" to 7'6". One reason rods have trended longer is the weight of the materials used has gotten less. I can pick up a 7 foot rod with newer technology that weighs less than a 6 foot rod of older technology. As far as good tips that help:
1. Downsizing your bait if nothing is hitting.
2. A lighter more sensitive rod will help you catch more fish. People that don't fish them will swear it makes no difference, but I have seen it too many times, if you let someone fish a newer technology rod over say, an Ugly Stick, they can't believe the difference.
3. Use natural colors on soft plastics and jigs. On soft plastics, if I can't catch fish on watermelon or green pumpkin, something is wrong. Browns and greens are my favorite jig colors as well.
4. Find wind blown banks when its windy. It sucks to handle the boat, but baitfish get washed into shore, and fish will follow.
5. When all else fails, throw a grub.

Kimberman

Football Hunter said:
I like braid for top water,and for certain flipping situations.

Agree with 1 - 5

IF I flipped on a regular basis, I would use braid. If I had braid on my topwater rod, I would pull more away from fish than I would catch. But maybe thats just me.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
monsterbuck07 said:

1) From what I gather it is very strong yet very small in diameter.
2) Longer poles, from what I have learned are much easier to cast with as well as easier to get a good hook set with.
3) If you want to catch fish, just book a trip with rsimms. Best time you will ever have on the water.

Football Hunter

Kimberman said:
Football Hunter said:

Agree with 1 - 5

IF I flipped on a regular basis, I would use braid. If I had braid on my topwater rod, I would pull more away from fish than I would catch. But maybe thats just me.
Could be.I love how braid stays on top,especially when waking a stick bait

Kimberman

Football Hunter said:
Kimberman said:
Football Hunter said:

Agree with 1 - 5

I don't like flouro for topwater. Since it sinks, it negatively effects the action of top water plugs, it usually makes it dive a little rather than stay on top. I like mono for topwater. It still floats, and the stretch factor, plus a limber rod slows down my hooksets enough to where I feel like my hit to hook up ratio goes up.

TN Larry

Kimberman said:
Football Hunter said:
Kimberman said:
Football Hunter said:

Agree with 1 - 5

I don't like flouro for topwater. Since it sinks, it negatively effects the action of top water plugs, it usually makes it dive a little rather than stay on top. I like mono for topwater. It still floats, and the stretch factor, plus a limber rod slows down my hooksets enough to where I feel like my hit to hook up ratio goes up.

Braid with a Spook is awesome. It makes it super easy to work. I counter the "no stretch" by using a medium action cranking rod.

TN Larry

Braid - I use braid for topwater and sometimes use it on a spinning reel with a fluoro leader tied to it.

Rod Length - Kimberman says it pretty well. Most of my rods are 6'6" to 7'6" depending on the situation. For instance, you don't want to be flipping into bushes with a 6' rod. A 7'6" rod gives you the length to make the flips easier but also gives you the backbone and strength to get a fish's head turned and out before wrapping you up.

Best tip - Always fish with confidence. If you are not confident in your bait, area, and presentation, then you won't be catching a whole lot even if you have the "right" bait and area picked out. You can't always force them to bite, but confidence and patience goes a long way and is at least half of the battle IMO.

Crosshairy

I never use braid unless I must have it for very heavy line, since the strength-to-diameter is high. It's annoying because it frays, so I have to use a lighter to burn the ends and clean up knots. I currently have braid on only one reel - a heavy action baitcaster that I set up to throw an Alabama rig. As a previous poster said, it's not all that pleasant to hear running through your guides.

I typically use fluorocarbon and fish with lighter weight lines (4 - 10 lb test). Line visibility matters a lot when fishing still and/or clear water. Heavily aerated water, like that below a dam, is a bit more forgiving.

SilverFox

Baitfish don't get washed into windy banks, they follow the food blown there. But it's right to fish windy banks because of baitfish being there. Any baitfish can swim against the strongest windblown current you will be fishing in without a problem and move in the opposite direction with ease.

Football Hunter

SilverFox said:
Baitfish don't get washed into windy banks, they follow the food blown there. But it's right to fish windy banks because of baitfish being there. Any baitfish can swim against the strongest windblown current you will be fishing in without a problem and move in the opposite direction with ease.
Correct,and good point,what the bait fish feed on gets blown with the wind,and they follow,and etc

TN Larry

Football Hunter said:
SilverFox said:
Correct,and good point,what the bait fish feed on gets blown with the wind,and they follow,and etc

Yep, kind of like a domino effect. Let the wind be your friend this time of yr.

SilverFox

monsterbuck07 said:

Braided line helps you tear up rods and reels if you're not careful. Other than that the only thing I feel you must use it for is the Alabama Rig.

The longer the pole the more line you take up on hook set. It also makes casting easier in most cases but not all like throwing a spinnerbait in trees or tight areas.

The best tip... Check your line often at the bait and several inches above. There are only 2 reasons most fish are lost due to broken lines. The first is people don't tie new knots often enough. It's a must if you fish in rocks or trees to check it every so often especially after hanging up or catching a fish. The other reason people break off... and it's not due to the awesome hooksets people claim to have, it's due to using the wrong equipment. Fluoro line has very little stretch. A very hard hookset with it on a heavy action rod with the drag tight is gonna break something. The weak point is usually the line. If you're using fluoro, step back to a medium heavy rod or loosen your drag up. You will still get the same hook set but you will break off a lot less fish. Most rods were designed to use mono line until recently. Some rods now are made for a fluoro or braid... that's the reason you pick up a medium heavy rod now and it feels more like medium. They are taking the error of too hard of hooksets out of the labeling. Duckett rods are a prime example of this.

Unicam

I am not like the rest, I really like my Spiderwire. I have adjusted my fishing knots over the years and look for poles without the ceramic lining on the eyelets as certain braids will eat through them in a few cast and cause line fraying. I threw away two KVD limited baitcasting rods after destrotying the eyelets with braided line and losing fish. I really like finese baits and braided line really helps me feel the bottom and the bite. About the only time I use Mono or Flouro is on my crappie rigs. I will also add I think the advertised weigt limits on braidied line is alot more than it says. 10lb braided holds a lot more than 10 lbs and has a diameter of around 2 to 4 lb Mono. It does take some getting used to but its a great tool in the box at least in my humble opinion.

Latest posts