Take another doe?

Moonman

Tonight we counted 2 groups of 10 + deer in each. I took a doe last weekend but would really like to get a buck. With this many deer showing up would it be a good or bad to take another? With all the issues I've heard through the state of ehd and worry that killing them off may hurt hunting in the future. This is my 5th year hunting and have taken 2 does. I've let many pass just because I'm waiting in a buck or they are small or they have little ones. I like the meat but enjoy the hunt.

Bone Collector

sounds like your place is ok. If you want to I would think it will be ok, but shooting deer generally diminishes your chances at shooting more deer, specifically larger bucks. If you just want a buck and are ok with any buck shouldn't be too big a deal to shoot a doe.

megalomaniac

How many in the doe groups were fawns? If half of the deer you saw were fawns, you're fine taking a couple adults out.

Sent from my SCH-R970X using Tapatalk

Moonman

Based on the counts there were roughly 4-5 in each group. Lately when hunting I've seen several immature bucks, one buck that appeared to be older and had some antler issues (hunting with bow last weekend of MZ).

GRIT

If i needed the meat i would shoot one if i didn't i probable wouldn't.

MickThompson

You can't really build up a big herd to defend against EHD. It is a density independent disease, and can devastate high or low deer populations. I saw some rutting action this week, so you may still be able to get that buck you're after. I don't think whether you do or don't will amount to a hill of beans otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Belt

If you're seeing does the there's no problem taking a couple. It's when you go hunt after hunt without seeing anything and particularly when you're covering several areas that might present problems down the road. It sounds like you'd be ok taking another if you need the meat and if it's a hot doe it might serve as some of the best buck attractant bait around if she's down out in front of you.

Latest posts