Tagged out this morning

TN Larry

It was a good morning this morning. I pulled a trail camera card on the way in and looked at it before daylight. I had a pic of one pretty nice deer that I was going back and forth on whether I would shoot him with my last tag. I decided that I would just have to see him and decide.

I saw my first deer around 7 this morning as 3 went up the hollow. I got caught with my hands out of my pocket and no glove on one hand. A gun sure is cold on a 26 degree morning with no glove on and in the shade. :rotf: Before I could move after they were gone, there was another coming down the hollow, and then the three came back with three more so I had 7 total under me. They got behind me, and I finally got to move and get my hand in my pocket, but my nose was starting to run like a faucet. Then two more big does came down the hollow and started messing around in front me. Now, I've got to pee, my nose is running, and my hands are still cold. I know, bad problem to have. I was glad when they all left after having deer around me for over an hour so that I could blow my nose, get my glove back on, and try not to pee on my tree stand rail since it was so cold.

I then saw a 2.5 yo 6 pt come cruising through and had a 3 pt walk right under me. I was trying to decide whether to sit all day, go scout a spot that I haven't been to and either switch stands or come back. I decided to sit til after 11 and then decide. It was 10:30, and I got to thinking about the trail cam deer. So, I pulled my camera out and was looking at him again. Let's see long tines, decent mass, decent spread, but short beams as I zoomed in............ Dang, I'm not sure as I heard crunch, crunch, crunch........I looked up, and here he comes cruising through at 50 yards. Crap, I guess I get to decide now as I grabbed my gun. I let him walk through the first three openings as I was trying to decide what to do. I told myself, that is a good deer for this area, and shot him as he hit the thicket. He ran about 40 yards and piled up.

I'd like to have my first tag back but, that is okay. I get to play full time guide now with my 9 year old which isn't a bad gig at all.

Latest posts