Suppressor question

dirtyhands

So my mother in law got me a savage mark 2 fv-sr for my birthday. I got home threw a scope on it and screwed on my banish 30 suppressor. I was very shocked with how loud the first shot was. I've shot my taurus tx22 with this suppressor and it's movie quiet. I got to thinking that maybe it's because the extra barrel length is giving the rounds a higher velocity but then every few shots would be movie quiet. These were federal super sonic rounds. Has anyone experienced this? I took the suppressor apart for a good cleaning. My only guess is some inconsistencies in powder charge on 22's.

UCStandSitter

So my mother in law got me a savage mark 2 fv-sr for my birthday. I got home threw a scope on it and screwed on my banish 30 suppressor. I was very shocked with how loud the first shot was. I've shot my taurus tx22 with this suppressor and it's movie quiet. I got to thinking that maybe it's because the extra barrel length is giving the rounds a higher velocity but then every few shots would be movie quiet. These were federal super sonic rounds. Has anyone experienced this? I took the suppressor apart for a good cleaning. My only guess is some inconsistencies in powder charge on 22's.
Wanna trade mother in laws? Mine gave me an earful for my bday

Omega

Could you explain when there would come a time when it could break the sound barrel farther away from the muzzle as the bullet slows down?
Maybe this will help. A longer barrel makes the bullet go faster, so the same bullet in a pistol is slower than in a rifle. So the Taurus may break the sound barrier a bit farther, if it does at all, while the rifle probably does at the muzzle.
22 chronograph results

LY

Supersonic .22 will be subsonic in a pistol

The quiet rounds you hear are .22's that didn't get the full powder charge. I was leading up the barrel in my mark ii fv-sr a couple of weeks ago and had the same experience with some Rem. Thunderbolts. To test this, get a scale and go through the box round by round, you'll see the different weights. Weighing and sorting is a good way to help your accuracy.

The mark ii is a good rifle, but I had to add a cheek riser and get a lot of magazines. The magazines are junk, the last time I shot, one quit working with less than a hundred rounds through it. You'll know when they go bad as rounds will spew out the top of it and go everywhere.

dirtyhands

Supersonic .22 will be subsonic in a pistol

The quiet rounds you hear are .22's that didn't get the full powder charge. I was leading up the barrel in my mark ii fv-sr a couple of weeks ago and had the same experience with some Rem. Thunderbolts. To test this, get a scale and go through the box round by round, you'll see the different weights. Weighing and sorting is a good way to help your accuracy.

The mark ii is a good rifle, but I had to add a cheek riser and get a lot of magazines. The magazines are junk, the last time I shot, one quit working with less than a hundred rounds through it. You'll know when they go bad as rounds will spew out the top of it and go everywhere.
This is kinda what I was thinking. Yeah the mag that came with it seems super cheap. For some reason if I loaded all five rounds in it the mag wouldn't fully seat. After a couple mags worth of shooting it started accepting five rounds. Just ordered a ten round the other day.

Latest posts