• Help Support TNDeer:

Suggestions! Purchase or Lease Land?

MUP

Supporter
Or, you could let the land lay natural, without all the work, provided it's good habitat to begin with. My property is entirely wooded, with around 90% oaks, and the rest non mast producing trees. Good creeks and some thick cover round out a deer paradise that I've hunted for years. It is, however, also surrounded by similar wooded land, making it a secluded area for the most part. The only worry I do have is constant alert for trespassers and poachers, along with riffraff meth heads from time to time crossing thru.

Primary

Primary

TNDeer Assistant
Here are some related products that TNDeer members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TNDeer’s partner,Primary, where you can find links to TNDeer discussions about these products.

Wiley

Buy all that you can afford and lease more if you feel the need. I lease 433 acres in TN that's 175 miles from where I live. I own 13 acres 15 minutes from home. It joins real rough TVA land and has lots of deer and only a very physically fit young person could access my place thru TVA via walking about 3 miles. I only take deer off my property if season is ending and we still need one or 2. Otherwise I selectively let friends take their kids to kill one off my single plot on the place. A good friend took his daughter yesterday evening and got her a nice doe that was feeding on the plot. 4 or 5 have killed their first deer there and I feel overwhelmingly blessed to be able to do this for kids.

TripleE

Farm credit ranges from 15 to 30. Just depends on loan length. ie 15 year 15% 25 year 25%
Correct, with good credit (720+) minimum down payment is 15% and the term is the same as the down payment as mentioned above. Can do all terms on fully fixed rates as well which are all in the 3's today.

I am a loan officer with Farm Credit (Rural 1st) if I can help any of you or answer any questions give me a shout anytime. My number is 615-512-1551

TNJones4530

Or, you could let the land lay natural, without all the work, provided it's good habitat to begin with. My property is entirely wooded, with around 90% oaks, and the rest non mast producing trees. Good creeks and some thick cover round out a deer paradise that I've hunted for years. It is, however, also surrounded by similar wooded land, making it a secluded area for the most part. The only worry I do have is constant alert for trespassers and poachers, along with riffraff meth heads from time to time crossing thru.
I’m looking at several pieces backing up to WMAs... I feel like the biggest disadvantage is a higher chance of people trespassing and hunting over your plots, etc

MUP

Supporter
I’m looking at several pieces backing up to WMAs... I feel like the biggest disadvantage is a higher chance of people trespassing and hunting over your plots, etc
I've had tree stands and tcams stolen from the middle of nowhere on my property from the local thievery , they have also been photographed at 4 in the morning on a Wed as well by another tcam. There is no food plot or anything on my property that would entice them to come onto it, other than just looking for something to steal. Just part of being a landowner in my part of the state.

Shooter77

Several great points above and I agree. If you are able...buy....leases can work out good sometimes....and sometimes not so good.....you can put allot of work into a lease and then at the end when you go to renew you learn the property owner has other plans.....owning and managing your own land can be very rewarding.....and making habitat improvements is addicting....along those lines....if the place has timber on it considered meeting with a Forrester and share your desires for the property and get his input....from the timber you can recoup some of the money you invested and during a timber harvest is a great time to make plots, improve road system, etc....and thicker cover will be developed naturally......if I was...or had to...go the lease route and wanted to do food plots or other habitat improvements... I would get as long of an lease agreement as possible.....good luck!!
Been there on a lease! I had 3 farms leased for 9 years, 2 days before bow opener, land owner on one called to say it had sold and needed to come get my stuff before the weekend. I had spend the summer cleaning up 2 -1 acre spots that was over my head to make food plots. a month & 1/2 later, the other owner on my last 2 farms called to say I could hunt till the end of the year since I put in 4 acres of food plots on them, but the family had deiced to just let family on it in future. I was the only one that would cut the trees, fix the gravel road, fix the fences and clear the brush so you could see to leave the property ever. Just goes to show, if you can be the best person for a place and love it like you own it, then loose it the next day. BUY BUY BUY!!!!!!! I'm in the process of doing that myself.

DoubleRidge

Been there on a lease! I had 3 farms leased for 9 years, 2 days before bow opener, land owner on one called to say it had sold and needed to come get my stuff before the weekend. I had spend the summer cleaning up 2 -1 acre spots that was over my head to make food plots. a month & 1/2 later, the other owner on my last 2 farms called to say I could hunt till the end of the year since I put in 4 acres of food plots on them, but the family had deiced to just let family on it in future. I was the only one that would cut the trees, fix the gravel road, fix the fences and clear the brush so you could see to leave the property ever. Just goes to show, if you can be the best person for a place and love it like you own it, then loose it the next day. BUY BUY BUY!!!!!!! I'm in the process of doing that myself.

Man that stinks....hope the land purchase goes well! Good luck!!

Latest posts