Suggestions for out of state diy

JeepKuntry

Criteria is within 6 hours of Knoxville. Any public land destination. You have 1 week to scout and hunt. Looking for suggestions as I've googled and read a ton on Kentucky & Ohio. Higginson Henry WMA is up there and Pennyrile in Ky.

Last edited:

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
Personally, if I'm traveling to hunt, it's probably not for whitetail. I can kill those close to home.

I may make an exception in a couple of years, as I have a friend that's been inviting me to hunt some farmland in Indiana that he has access to, and they kill some monsters off of it and the adjoining public land every year. He says that does push 200lb up there… but I digress.

If I'm traveling to hunt, and I have twice, (once with my dad on a guided public land elk hunt, once for my daughter on a DIY public land pronghorn hunt) and will be for a third time next fall (with my dad and bro for a public land DIY mule deer hunt), then I'm going for something that I can't pursue close by.

Start researching and buying points

SES

Wayne National Forest in Ohio. I saw 14 bucks the 1st day I hunted there years ago. It was near Lake Vesuvius. Lots of land in that area.

tasaman

Criteria is within 6 hours of Knoxville. Any public land destination. You have 1 week to scout and hunt. Looking for suggestions as I've googled and read a ton on Kentucky & Ohio. Higginson Henry WMA is up there and Pennyrile in Ky.
I've hunted Higgins-Henry and Pennyrile. We've killed good deer in both. I still prefer to go further west if I have time. Don't forget LBL. And they do have a quota hunt. I've been putting in for Ballard WMA draw for 4 years. Should draw this year.

SES

I researched it a little, the atv/utv permits and use has me second guessing it.
Game warden stopped while we were camping on the side of the road up there. He saw the four wheeler on the trailer and said if he saw us on it, we would be sorry. There might me designated trails for them, but where we were at, it was a no no

Ski

I researched it a little, the atv/utv permits and use has me second guessing it.

The trails are clearly marked and they are very strict about staying on them.

If that is a deterrence for you then may I suggest looking at less obvious, lesser known public grounds? State forests are all over the place and they all have potential to produce world class bucks. Wayne gets lots of attention because of YouTube hunters, but there's nothing special about it that makes it any better than any other ground up there.

Latest posts