Suggestions for a Montana Outfitter

dgolden

Looking for suggestions for a Montana outfitter for elk. Would like something that doesn't require horses. I'm not looking for the biggest bull, just a legal one. Would like for my dad to get his first bull. He doesn't have many more trips out west in him I'm afraid.
We have 1 preference point and can get another this year. Any suggestions would be great! I've already reached out to a few, but always like hearing from Tndeer!

mr.hicks

Looking for suggestions for a Montana outfitter for elk. Would like something that doesn't require horses. I'm not looking for the biggest bull, just a legal one. Would like for my dad to get his first bull. He doesn't have many more trips out west in him I'm afraid.
We have 1 preference point and can get another this year. Any suggestions would be great! I've already reached out to a few, but always like hearing from Tndeer!
Whats your budget? I recently went out west for my 'one and done' elk trip of a lifetime....

19_A_CPT

Cameron Mayo with Absaroka Beartooth. He is in Big Timber and doesnt pack in on horses. There's an older gentleman we do work for who fully recommends him and his operation. He said their hunts were not overly physical.

Last edited:

mr.hicks

Would like to be at or below $7,500. I've reached out to several outfitters and the only ones that have responded are in the $10,000+ range 🤦🏻‍♂️
Yep, thats the range for my hunt, but i researched big time. You have too. At this price i wanted to hunt where elk are. Very important to have the densities to see bulls each day...
I definitely wanted to pay less than 7500 but the more you dive deep the outfitters that have the Elk are charging 10000 an over.
I was done in two days. Cow elk in 1 hour 1st day and shot a 6x5 second evening at 445 pm.
I had the experience of my life it Kills me to know ill never be able to do this again...And thats why you have to do the leg work

You go out west you need to see Elk. My chiropractor had a patient who went to Colorado this past season...15000 and didn't even see a bull

dgolden

Cameron Mayo with Absaroka Beartooth. He is in Big Timber and doesnt pack in on horses. There's an older gentleman we do work for who fully recommends him and his operation. He said their hunts were not overly physical.
I was looking at this one last night and actually sent them an email today!

dgolden

Yep, thats the range for my hunt, but i researched big time. You have too. At this price i wanted to hunt where elk are. Very important to have the densities to see bulls each day...
I definitely wanted to pay less than 7500 but the more you dive deep the outfitters that have the Elk are charging 10000 an over.
I was done in two days. Cow elk in 1 hour 1st day and shot a 6x5 second evening at 445 pm.
I had the experience of my life it Kills me to know ill never be able to do this again...And thats why you have to do the leg work

You go out west you need to see Elk. My chiropractor had a patient who went to Colorado this past season...15000 and didn't even see a bull
Would you mind sending me some info on the outfit you went with? May be out of my price range for now, but who knows what the future holds!

mr.hicks

Now my guide told me to try the December hunt. 2 grand cheaper plus you get the Colorado herd wintering there so you can glass a big one then move into range.. in Oct you stil have bugling bulls so thats what i wanted but 2 thousand is 2 thousand

The cow elk tag was an additional 750 dollars

Attachments

• 20221007_170057.jpg
    20221007_170057.jpg
    673 KB · Views: 101
  • 20221006_081156.jpg
    20221006_081156.jpg
    574.1 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

lafn96

Now my guide told me to try the December hunt. 2 grand cheaper plus you get the Colorado herd wintering there so you can glass a big one then move into range.. in Oct you stil have bugling bulls so thats what i wanted but 2 thousand is 2 thousand

The cow elk tag was an additional 750 dollars
That's ALOT of meat!

sneakybow

Would you mind sending me some info on the outfit you went with? May be out of my price range for now, but who knows what the future holds!
He wasn't hunting Montana of he's hunting an area where Colorado elk are wintering. My recommendation on Montana? Stay away from western Montana if you want to see elk. Wolves have hammered elk populations in western Montana and it's thick country. Nothing cheap in the guided elk game, especially if you want a front range type hunt that doesn't require horses.

dgolden

He wasn't hunting Montana of he's hunting an area where Colorado elk are wintering. My recommendation on Montana? Stay away from western Montana if you want to see elk. Wolves have hammered elk populations in western Montana and it's thick country. Nothing cheap in the guided elk game, especially if you want a front range type hunt that doesn't require horses.
That's what I've read. A lot of the outfitters are recommending buying a wolf tag if you hunt with them.

19_A_CPT

That's what I've read. A lot of the outfitters are recommending buying a wolf tag if you hunt with them.
I spoke with the commissioner of the Montana Outfitters Association earlier in the week and he's actually suspended all of his hunts due to the toughness of finding game. We were discussing the Bob Marshall Wilderness Elk hunt we raffle each year and he said between wildfires and predation, they are struggling out that way. The Bob Marshall is pretty good ways West. Absaroka is a little East of Bozeman, north of Yellowstone iirc.

dgolden

I've narrowed it down to 3. Still unsure if/when I'll go. Headed back to TN from Colorado tomorrow morning with my tail tucked between my legs yet again.
Was hoping to win that guided hunt from the Nashville RMEF drawing 😂

Latest posts