Suggestions for a “quiet” duck call.

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
So on Saturday's (re-)opener I hunted some wide open shore-accessible "water" (it's mostly muck now, but got serious duck movement 300 yards away and had some inches-deep "channels" within gun range).

It was a calm day, and I quickly realized my single-reed Quackhead J-frame poly was way too loud while quacking even when I was blowing it soft as I could while still using what I understand to be proper technique (diaphragm). Only could manage a feeder chuckle at anywhere near appropriate volume levels. And even at that it was probably too loud, since sound carries so well over wide open drawdown flats. I certainly felt I was way louder than the ducks I heard, anyway.

So what's the best solution here? A different tone board design (definitively not inclined to get another J-frame)? Different barrel design? Different material (strongly considering bumping up my own investment by $50-$60 at some point to get a wooden call, which seems to be cheaper than acrylic versions

I admit I'm biased against double-reeds, but this is not rooted in experience. Just the abstract idea that they're less versatile and are more likely to wear you out while blowing. But I can probably be persuaded to go the double-reed route.

What stinks is with COVID going on I doubt there's anywhere I can go to actually blow calls before buying them. So it'd be ideal if buying blind I can stay in the cheap range, though I'm more likely to be able to sell something that doesn't work for me if it's in a higher tier.

Anyway, thanks for your suggestions in advance.

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
And by the way, I realize the real "solution" to my situation is find actual water. But even if I did, my call would still have been too loud in calm conditions.

TAFKAP

A Yentzen is about as dummy-proof as it gets. It can be as quiet as you can make it, but still carries the honk well in the woods. IT's about $65 for the tried-and-true walnut call.

Sure Shot also has the next-gen Yentzen, which is a screw-together polymer tube. Not sure about how quiet it is, as a polymer though. And at a price point of $165, probably more $$$ than anyone would care to spend

Grnwing

Kudos to you for realizing that, i had the pleasure of listening to a couple competition callers Saturday morning while I was sitting in the tree stand and it drove me crazy. As far as a recommendation, I use an RNT daisy cutter for open/windy conditions and an RNT Diablo for in the timber when the birds are on top of you. Both of those calls are going to be on the expensive side. The Yentzen is a great option for those calm days when you just need some soft quacks.

beefydeer

Yes the dr-85. Probably the highest selling call made. Everybody around here has one on the lanyard.

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
I use an RNT daisy cutter for open/windy conditions and an RNT Diablo for in the timber when the birds are on top of you. Both of those calls are going to be on the expensive side. The Yentzen is a great option for those calm days when you just need some soft quacks.

I'm intrigued by the Diablo. Seems similar to the Mondo in some ways, though the latter is meant to be louder for a very specific style of calling. Comes in wood, too.

Is it fine to practice year-round on a wooden duck call? Or do they need to be thoroughly dried after each time they're used? Also, I imagine you have to quit leaving your lanyard in the car to practice if wooden calls are on it?

Hawk

Yes the dr-85. Probably the highest selling call made. Everybody around here has one on the lanyard.

Don't over look this one.

Latest posts