suggest a bear proof cooler

nebucky1

Hi guys,
I'm taking my family with me for my first camping trip outside of the backyard- So need a bear proof cooler for a 4-day weekend.
Thanks for the suggestions....

Last edited:

cbhunter

you can go as low as a lifetime at walmart. around $100 at walmart for a 55 quart. Of you can spend hundreds of dollars on yeti or the like.

I went the lifetime route. I will add that mine says bear "resistant" vs "proof". Tons of options out there to choose from.

Are you from tennessee and where will you be camping??

east_tn_gk

I went with the Cabela's brand. They're advertised as bear resistant (I have not tested this part), hold ice as long as the competitors and they're made in USA. I got the 60 quart & I'm happy with it.

Spurhunter

you can go as low as a lifetime at walmart. around $100 at walmart for a 55 quart.
I got one of these and it didn't seal correctly. I called customer service, told them the problem, emailed some pics, and the guy said I'll have a new one on your porch tomorrow. And he did. The new one is airtight and holds ice for days. I was impressed with that level of customer service. If you get one just make sure the tub is square and the seal mates up before you leave the store. The front of the tub was bowed in on my first one so the rubber seal on the lid couldn't seal correctly.

cbhunter

I got one of these and it didn't seal correctly. I called customer service, told them the problem, emailed some pics, and the guy said I'll have a new one on your porch tomorrow. And he did. The new one is airtight and holds ice for days. I was impressed with that level of customer service. If you get one just make sure the tub is square and the seal mates up before you leave the store. The front of the tub was bowed in on my first one so the rubber seal on the lid couldn't seal correctly.
Had same issue, they redesigned the lids. I got a new one and @rem270 ended up with my old one. Kind of a funny story but not really something i will publish on world wide web

cbhunter

Nope. I got a 120V aerator and I'm using it to keep my minners in between trips. 😂
not sayin i would ever do this but i've "heard" of someone using a dry erase marker long enough to snap a pic and then wiping it off. That person may have told someone not named @rem270 the specifics of the cooler and sold it to them at a discounted price. I cannot verify if that is accurate.

akachuck

not sayin i would ever do this but i've "heard" of someone using a dry erase marker long enough to snap a pic and then wiping it off. That person may have told someone not named @rem270 the specifics of the cooler and sold it to them at a discounted price. I cannot verify if that is accurate.
Leave ole short and stubby alone. He's done nothing to you. 😂

timberjack86

We camp all the time in "bear country". Leave your cooler locked in your vehicle or raised up high in a tree. Keep your camp clean. Don't cook, clean dishes or brush your teeth near your tent. We always set an area about 50 yards away for this stuff. First camping trip in east TN had a bear come thru camp turned my camp kitchen upside down next to our tent. Luckily he left when I turned on the lights. Lessons learned

Mattt

Cabelas coolers are good gear but big for their size. Lifetime does a good job especially considering the price point but I have no doubt a bear will go rite through it.

jb3

I don't believe coolers are bear proof. Yeti is not bear proof. If camping in bear county, follow all protocols.

philsanchez76

I have had one yeti and one Orca cooler for 7 or so years now and both are tough as nails. The yeti holds ice a little longer and has survived many battles with airline baggage handlers throwing it around on the tarmac. It has all the scars to prove it. I'd definitely pay the $ again for the yeti given it's durability.