Strutter/2 year olds/Jakes/ 2 hens

ryan2424

Been working an area that has a mature tom that struts every time he's in the field. The 2 year old occasionally struts with him. They have 4/5 jakes with them and 2 hens. They don't gobble on the roost or on the ground. The mature birds and jakes have been alone a number of times, don't respond to any calls and have tried different sounds. I've mostly mimicked the hens that I've heard with them, and the last time they moved away quickly from some purrs and light yelps. Their patterns are consistent and if I'm patient enough and have the time I can just wait them out and catch them moving to their afternoon spots or back to the roost. Even henned up birds normally will gobble every once in a while. These birds haven't gobbled in two weeks. Any thoughts on this?

ROVERBOY

I saw a couple longboards a few years ago like that. I would see them in a field strutting and feeding but, would never gobble at anything. I almost got one of them around noon one day but, a hen messed me up. :roll: Just keep trying and maybe you can cut them off for a shot.

megalomaniac

Keep at it without spooking them. One day their mood will change and they will work.

If you can watch them fly up for the night from a distance, you can sneak to 75 yards from them in the pitch black. That will up your chances significantly. Don't even call till they fly down if you get close unless its thick.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

TheLBLman

megalomaniac":3r33t6cn said:
. . . . . in the pitch black.
That will up your chances significantly.
IMO, hunters often arrive too late when they try to set up on roosted birds,
and/or just happen to be near roosted birds.

Amazing difference in what you can get away with (movement & sound-wise)
1 hour before sunrise vs. 45 minutes before sunrise.

megalomaniac

TheLBLman":2qcbima4 said:
megalomaniac":2qcbima4 said:
. . . . . in the pitch black.
That will up your chances significantly.
IMO, hunters often arrive too late when they try to set up on roosted birds,
and/or just happen to be near roosted birds.

Amazing difference in what you can get away with (movement & sound-wise)
1 hour before sunrise vs. 45 minutes before sunrise.
And its funny how those that set up on roosted birds with just a sliver of light wonder why they always fly down and head the other way right out of the tree.

If you are going to play the roosting tree game, its gotta be done in the pitch black. I actually prefer to hang back 200y and wait till after flydown before moving in if there is any light. Suckers can see a long way from the limb with very little pre-dawn light.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Boll Weevil

A couple of thoughts:
1) They don't need to gobble if they're roosting WITH the hens.
2) The hens don't want your competition or company...they're likely leading the group away. The more you call, the more likely they are to ease off.

TheLBLman

megalomaniac":1ukj66gb said:
And its funny how those that set up on roosted birds with just a sliver of light wonder why they always fly down and head the other way right out of the tree.
Yep.
And, they'll often fly a few hundred yards before they land as well.
Took me many years to correlate this.

Have never understood why so many hunters choose to sacrifice so much of their hunting opportunities just to be able to sleep another 15-30 minutes.

Of course, sometimes they'll fly off the roost and go two or three hundred yards before landing regardless.

Latest posts