Stones River (pics)

northeasthunter

JDC11 and I fished below the dam at Percy Priest today for some trout, it was cold but we still did ok. They didnt bite nearly as good as the trout at Pinkerton Park. Also found some birds pecking away at an old fish carcass that was pretty darn big.

trout1_zpsf2a6a62d.jpg

trout2_zps28e4212c.jpg

carp_zps78008bc9.jpg

catman529

Nice fish. Yeah they bite good in the harpeth, less room to roam.

The big fish carcass is a carp or a buffalo.

edit - could be a drum too... hard to tell. it's pretty far gone

edit again.... looked at some pics. Not a buffalo, looks most like a common carp to me, could still be a drum....

either way, big fish :D

Outdoor life

Nice fish! I'm not sure what the dead one is, but looks more like a carp. If it's a drum look for the otoliths, I get them out of every drum I gut hook or find dead.

catman529

Outdoor life said:
Nice fish! I'm not sure what the dead one is, but looks more like a carp. If it's a drum look for the otoliths, I get them out of every drum I gut hook or find dead.
I have caught so many drum and never saved an otolith or even seen one. They say drum is good eating too... maybe one day.... hmmm

Outdoor life

catman529 said:
Outdoor life said:
I have caught so many drum and never saved an otolith or even seen one. They say drum is good eating too... maybe one day.... hmmm

I've never ate one, but will probably try it this year. Getting the otolith out of a drum is the easiest of any other fish (largest otoliths for fish around here), a 20 inch drum will usually have an otolith the size of a half dollar. I've done it so many times for classes, and just finding one or gut hooking one, that it's very easy. Follow the ridge on the gill plate and cut striaght down to it from the top of the head, open it up and the otoliths (2 largest) should be right there....also known as "lucky rocks"...evidenty not so lucky for the fish though haha

stik

catman529 said:
Nice fish. Yeah they bite good in the harpeth, less room to roam.

The big fish carcass is a carp or a buffalo.

edit - could be a drum too... hard to tell. it's pretty far gone

edit again.... looked at some pics. Not a buffalo, looks most like a common carp to me, could still be a drum....

either way, big fish :D

i am basing my opinion on the rounded tail. it could just be rotted that way.

RF270

I know you said you were fishing with someone and combined you aren't over your limit but I would be careful sharing a stringer. You run across the wrong TWRA agent and someone gonna have some explainin' to do. Trust me I've been on that end.

SES

RF270 said:
I know you said you were fishing with someone and combined you aren't over your limit but I would be careful sharing a stringer. You run across the wrong TWRA agent and someone gonna have some explainin' to do. Trust me I've been on that end.
x2. I've heard of this happening before. It would definitely be cheaper to buy another stringer than to pay pay a fine for being in possession of more than your limit.

northeasthunter

SES said:
RF270 said:
x2. I've heard of this happening before. It would definitely be cheaper to buy another stringer than to pay pay a fine for being in possession of more than your limit.

I have several stringers, ill have to bring them next time. I never really thought about that but i could sure see that happening with a warden

Unicam

RF270 said:

Happened to me, had my father in law, son, daughter and myself fishing and we only had two stringers. We were strongly advised to get our own stringers the next time we went to the river by a TWRA officer.

Latest posts