Still not like 6-7 years ago,

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
But heard five gobbling this morning on the roost from my front porch, and I still haven't made it to the back of my place to listen towards the end of the holler. There have been 4-5 on my neighbors 200 acre lease that for the past month. We see them daily out in his fields and hear them often. The guys that hunt have been out 3 times that I know of but have come on pretty much the only days the turkeys have been quiet and not visible. I killed one on may place Monday and have a kids I'll be taking out on different farms the next two days, so I'll give these birds around me at least another week before I go after them again here. Haven't been seeing very many on the other farms I hunt, but I also have only been once this year and have done zero scouting, but the owners have reported seeing some.

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
I realize that you are use to hearing double digit birds, but I'm having a hard time having sympathy.

Try coming east sometime when you are fortunate to hear one, maybe 2.

And many days it's none.
Oh, I totally hear you in that! I started my turkey hunting days on the Hoosier National Forest, and know quite well how good I have it here. Miles and miles of walking and climbing up and down ridges not hearing a thing back in the day. Last year I heard one turkey gobble on the roost all year, not just during the season, but all year. The year before was barely better than that, as were the previous 4. I am certainly counting my blessings today, but it is still less than half what I used to hear.

ROVERBOY

There can't be a lot of birds around here. No gobbling on the roost, and might hear one a little later but, always way off. I set up Yesterday morning about 7:30 in a place where I see birds sometimes. I called every 15 minutes just a little and lightly. Called a bird in but, couldn't tell what it was. Never made a peep either. Could've been a hen.

Latest posts