Starting Peppers and Onions?

WMAn

First time gardening. I started onions and peppers two weeks ago in the jiffy greenhouses you can buy at home depot. They are all up. The peppers have two seed leaves. I have them sitting on my kitchen table. Should I move them where they can get light through a window?

Right now they only get light from the CFLs I use to light the house.

catman529

They need more light ASAP, or they will get leggy, aka tall and spindly and weak. If you have a fluorescent shop light you can keep them under that and keep it no more than a few inches above the plants. You can put them in the window too, but it should be south facing and receive as much sunlight as possible. Still a window is not really enough light per day, but it is better than nothing. If you put them under a shop light then leave it on 12+ hrs per day.

This is my grow light setup -

9DCBF92E-B344-43D6-897F-F09C0DAB8C62-12497-0000160F23FDBF7B_zps9db7d401.jpg

When it comes time to put them in the ground, they have to be hardened off, which means starting by putting them in a shady spot outside for a few hours during the day, and gradually increasing their sunlight and wind exposure over the course of one or two weeks until they can be left out 24/7. If you put them straight in full sun the leaves will burn.

Good luck

Latest posts