Starting over?

74MOPAR

74MOPAR

Man this sucks, I've been at the same employer for over 23 years- basically since I was a kid(20) The company I work for is owned by 2 guys. Both wanting to sell the company, buying it is really not for me. Another guy at work is talking about buying out one of the partners for now. Anyways, I just don't see me working for him or the remaining partner. I started as a helper all those years ago, and now I am over our commercial electrical crews. I don't have to jump today but I guess it's time to make a resume, never even made one before. I know I can find a job, just don't know if I want to stay in construction or maybe maintenance in a plant. I would like to retire from my next job if possible. Not really sure where to start. Time to man up. :cool:

cbhunter

cbhunter

Supporter
Re: Starting over

Man that sounds like a tough decision with you being the only one that knows whether or not you need to move on. Sounds like you have your mind made up. As far as construction vs maintenance at a plant.........

I would heavily consider the plant for benefits offered. With that being said, I have never worked in a plant :D

DaveB

DaveB

Best of Luck. Now seems like a good time to be on the move, economy is picking up.

I would wager the electrical company around Nashville could make do with some qualified help.

I'd say hit up MLG&W but you'd have to move closer to Memphis. Plus, there would be the stock up in ammo, sidearms, and so on.

Kimber45

Kimber45

You’ll do fine bud. There are great companies looking for great long term employees for sure.

JeepKuntry

JeepKuntry

Wish you the best of luck. Definitely a demand for skilled workers.

RUGER

RUGER

Supporter

Best of luck man!

T

turk870

If you decide to stay with construction or service, I know ABEC is hiring.

74MOPAR

74MOPAR

Definitely open to different opportunities, just hoping to find a place with good people and I can fit in.
Better benefits would be great, especially vacation time .

cbhunter

cbhunter

Supporter
I honestly wished a many of times that I would have went to School for industrial maintenance. Pay scale is good and usually lots of benefits involved

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

74MOPAR

74MOPAR

brass magnet":h1dqnoqj said:
Industrial maintenance at Beretta in Galatin, employee discount on firearms. :tu:
I've been checking on this, nothing really open right now. I go to church with a guy that works there :D

B

BMan

cbhunter":cjmlor0c said:
I honestly wished a many of times that I would have went to School for industrial maintenance. Pay scale is good and usually lots of benefits involved.
Very true. Unfortunately, also means working a lot of holidays and nights when the plant is idle.

WTM

WTM

Supporter
BMan":2235ayas said:
cbhunter":2235ayas said:
I honestly wished a many of times that I would have went to School for industrial maintenance. Pay scale is good and usually lots of benefits involved.
Very true. Unfortunately, also means working a lot of holidays and nights when the plant is idle.

and no choice in working either. worked that field for almost 10 years for several companies since i already had a EE degree i used every bit of my GI bill on tech schools. in telecomm field now and probably be in the same boat in a couple of years. looking at computer science, only need about 40 hours for that degree, since our CEO says that is what we need or else.

i liked plant work better even with the hours and shutdowns mainly because of no traveling like in construction. when i got out of that field in 98 you pretty much had to be multicraft with strong AB or Siemens logic controller work as well as electrical and mechanical skills. in my last job at Magnetek, i might be repairing a controller on a Cincinatti milicron machine one day, installing new busway and bus plugs for new machines the next or pipe welding the next.

good luck to you, never easy starting over.

TNGunsmoke

TNGunsmoke

waynesworld":2tw0xtny said:
They need a lot of help at the state. Great ben but pay is a little lower

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
Benefits at the State, or most Local governments are usually pretty good. Especially if they have TCRS retirement, its a guaranteed pension, which will just about pay for your healthcare premiums if nothing else. Takes 5 years to get vested in it if they offer it.

74MOPAR

74MOPAR

TNGunsmoke":3n1o2fsr said:
waynesworld":3n1o2fsr said:
They need a lot of help at the state. Great ben but pay is a little lower

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
Benefits at the State, or most Local governments are usually pretty good. Especially if they have TCRS retirement, its a guaranteed pension, which will just about pay for your healthcare premiums if nothing else. Takes 5 years to get vested in it if they offer it.
I may look into this also.

M

Mattt

Just the thought of being in one place that long scares me. You are stronger than I am for being there that long.

M

muddyboots

Supporter
If it was me and I was really happy at my job I would seriously look at buying it. Exactly what I’m doing now. Kind of a lease purchase. Nothing like working for your self but I can definitely see where people wouldn’t want that. Maybe it will work out in your favor. Give it to god and it will b ok. You will wind up in the right spot.