Starting a cemetery question

BSK

Crazy question, but does anyone know the laws in TN concerning starting a family cemetery? In essence, can you be buried on your own property?

poorhunter

I’m not sure about starting one, but if there is one already on your property I believe you can. I’ve done a little research on doing our own burials…even making our own caskets, not embalming or using a funeral home. Those expenses are very cost prohibitive. Our church has our own cemetery so I don’t need to worry about that part.

RUGER

Supporter
There are no state laws in Tennessee prohibiting home burial, but local governments may have rules governing private burials. Before burying a body on private property or establishing a family cemetery, you should check with the county or town clerk for any zoning laws you must follow. You can most likely hold a home burial if you live in a rural area.

It was on the internet sooooo YMMV ?

1908_Cubbies

Supporter
I am pretty sure that there are no state laws prohibiting it. However, there may be local zoning regulations. In my area, we had to have an area zoned for a cemetery on the property that can't be used for anything else.

Edit... Ruger beat me to it.

Last edited:

hillbillyfab

I snagged this from the following link.

Q: Can I bury my deceased father on my property?
A: Maybe. There are no state laws that prohibit where you can bury your deceased loved one. However, your county or local municipality may have ordinances you have to follow. There are a few things you must do prior to burial. Contact the Tennessee Department of Health at or your county clerk for more information. Click on these helpful links to find out more information about things you must do in the case of a death or family burial.

Andy S.

Not to hijack, but along these lines, my family has a small 3 acre family cemetery on family land. It was established in 1973. The younger generation (many have moved away, a lot are lazy, etc) does not show it love like the older generations did (many buried in our cemetery). Management and maintenance (limbs, grass, gate, fencing, etc) is getting to be a hassle with some of it hired out, compared to the older generations (many lived local 1950-2000) who maintained it with pride. I often wonder what the fate of our family cemetery will be over the next 50-100 years. What happens to it the day no one wants to own the upkeep and maintenance? Overgrown jungle with headstones you cannot see? Things to ponder when considering a family cemetery.

Last edited:

dg7080

My neighbor was buried on his farm just behind ours about 5 years ago. Carved out a small spot on a hill and placed a nice fence around it. This is Sumner County and I have no clue what was required, but have thought about doing just that on our place. I need to look into it, but you should be able to do it.

DaveB

A family cemetery close by my place just had two people planted this calendar year. It WAS NOT maintained for quite awhile and then almost overnight it went from disreputable to a nice place. You can see it on the satellite views just look at exit 15 south.

Chiflyguy

Interesting.
Might be an option for me later on.
The cost of funerals is ridiculous and a burial spot is even nuttier.
I have 3 or 4 family cemeteries up and down my road plus a church 2 doors down.
Might have to convert to a Baptist though which I’ve already thought about.

Snake

There are no state laws in Tennessee prohibiting home burial, but local governments may have rules governing private burials. Before burying a body on private property or establishing a family cemetery, you should check with the county or town clerk for any zoning laws you must follow. You can most likely hold a home burial if you live in a rural area.

There are some laws but to what extent I don't know . Don't think you can just dig a hole and put someone in it . There are even some laws about burying ashes , sprinkling don't think so . Anyways a friend's wife that just passed in Loudon County and he was telling me this .

Snake

Not to hijack, but along these lines, my family has a small 3 acre family cemetery on family land. The younger generation (many have moved away, a lot are lazy, etc) does not show it love like the older generations did (many buried in our cemetery). It was established in 1973. Management and maintenance (limbs, grass, gate, fencing, etc) is getting to be a hassle with some of it hired out, compared to the older generations (many lived local 1950-2000) who maintained it with pride. I often wonder what the fate of our family cemetery will be over the next 50-100 years. What happens to it the day no one wants to own the upkeep and maintenance? Overgrown jungle with headstones you cannot see? Things to ponder when considering a family cemetery.
See cemeteries all the time that's not taken care of .

Snake

If no one knows then .....

hbg1

Crazy question, but does anyone know the laws in TN concerning starting a family cemetery? In essence, can you be buried on your own property?
I have a neighbor who buried his wife out back. Had the hole dug with a backhoe. I have no clue what the process was or if he even asked.

Latest posts